Do you guys even read hardcopy books? I don't because they are completely obsolete

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by Nazi_Elephant, Jul 16, 2013.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Nazi_Elephant

Nazi_Elephant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Stomping j00z into bloody juice!
    I occasionally might sign out a book from the local library if I can't find it on the internet but chances are you can download it for free via a PDF format on the internet. I think hardcopy books are obsolete from a practical standpoint. I only read them for a nostalgic value since I grew up on hardcopied books. But since I spend most of my time on the internet and in front of a computer, I see little value in buying or even signing out hardcopy books since I can download everything from the internet and read it offline in a pdf format. Or better yet, sometimes you can read the book from a webpage, so downloading it isn't even required.

What do you guys think? Do you guys read physical books? I made this thread out of inspiration of the ED article on books which accurately states that

I noticed a lot of old media fags are butthurt whenever I make the above statement. Which is entirely true because everything you need in books can be found on the internet.

• OP is a Faggot OP is a Faggot x 1
    • List
  2. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Yeah, I see your point.
    Taking a book with you is a bit less of a pain in the ass than a computer if you are going outside, and a book is a bit less of a strain on the eyes. But yeah, I see what you mean.

3. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Eye strain is annoying as shit. E-readers are alright, but seriously fuck trying to read an entire book in PDF format on a computer screen.

4. Immortal_Cake

Immortal_Cake
    Expand Collapse
    Noice

B.S. in Bullshit
    Home Page:
    I read "War and Peace" in PDF format.

I have yet begun on the first chapter, but the front cover was fascinating.

5. AnonNigger

AnonNigger
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

raping 'em white wimminz
    You are correct. All novels are TL;DR. Watch the movie or just read the back of the book to figure out what the novel is about. And then you can finish your book report without having to endure the TL;DR nature of your novel.

6. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I have a massive storage of pdfs, but I prefer hardcover to electronic. I don't see how you people will think that will go out of style. Do any of you suffer from eye or joint problems? Yeah, so computer tech is only going to make hardcover stay in business. The uses of hardcovers goes beyond that.

We have an uncircumcised philistine up in this bitch!

7. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

I'm not even sure what you're asking.
    Do we read books?
    Fuck yes, I read books, because I don't carry my computer or an e-reader everywhere I go like a faggot.

As for practicality, I prefer owning the actual book. Either way has its problems: not all books are available as PDFs online/my house could burn down and destroy them. With a physical book, I don't need electricity. Let's examine a scenario: If the entire world's power grids failed and satellite links were indefinitely interrupted for whatever reason, your stockpile of Googled links will be pretty useless. It's better to not have dependence on a single source of information.

Books are here to stay and the internet is here to stay, at least for now.
    One does not replace or negate the other.

...You say you read hard copy books for "nostalgic value". What a colossally douchey thing to say. That by itself tells me you probably carry a hardcover or two with you everywhere you go in your manpurse (probably stuff like Hemingway or Palahniuk), then bring it out at opportune moments to show how educated and deep you are. Look at me, everyone, as I sip my mochafrappalatte and read REAL BOOKS. The guy at a party who sits off by themselves and broods, hoping someone will come and talk to them and ask them what they're reading, so they can reply curtly, "Oh, this? Yeah, I just read them for nostalgic value, I don't actually enjoy it or absorb the information. I could just as easily find it on the internet, you know." Brilliant.

8. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    @Sugar Bombs I heard you like to read. Do you want talk about my book? I am reading War and the Breed, an observation how war evolves humans, but is bad from an eugenic perspective (this book was written after WWI). It is very interesting. Now send me more pictures of you on the toilet holding phallic objects because I am an alpha colossal douche you hipster big butt slut.

@Nazi_Elephant now that is how you use your douchiness to show how epic masculine you are on Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums. You know, for the bitches, but always keep this in mind:

9. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

I noticed that a lot of buttnerds are interested in eugenics, yet don't get laid and fail to see the irony.
    Keep up the good work Rice, you motherfucking wizard! <3

10. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    My desire to engage you in coitus is merely evolutionary instinct, I would not seek you out for something like companionship.

11. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
    Can we get back to talking about books instead of your unused microcock?

12. ilovejesus69

ilovejesus69
    Expand Collapse
    Crisis Actor

I still use physical books. I learned a little while ago you shouldn't color on the computer screen.

13. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I want to state for the record I do not have a micropenis.

@Akula how are your new books?

14. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

All I have is a picture or two of your very womanly hips on the can.

15. FlamingTofuSquare

FlamingTofuSquare
    Expand Collapse
    Dramatis Personæ

retired werebelushiologist
    Yes, because there's no way in hell I'm buying a $100+ device to read a $10 book. Those things only make sense if you travel a lot. Also, if I drop a book in the lake, it only costs $10 for another one. I can also trade in real books for credit at the used bookstore and buy more books.

16. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

I almost always buy books used, as long as they're in decent condition. The way I see it, once I finish reading a brand new book the spine'll be creased and a page or two might be dogeared anyway, so why not buy it like that for a quid instead of a tenner? Library books on the other hand creep me right the fuck out, for some reason. In fact there's something just off about libraries in general.

17. FlamingTofuSquare

FlamingTofuSquare
    Expand Collapse
    Dramatis Personæ

retired werebelushiologist

I like how durable library books are - I even try to go out of my way to get library-edition discarded hardbacks on Amazon if it's a book I know I'll be hanging onto. (And nearly all used copies of hard-to-find academic topics end up being exactly that.)

That said, I don't visit the actual library anymore except at the college, and even then it's to use the microfilm to look up old obituaries. The public one here keeps discarding all their good stock and not replacing it - most of what they have are newer books that all the bored housewives want to read. Or they'll have newest 2 or 3 books in a decent series, but not the beginning of the series. The only people you see in there anymore are niggers using the internet - so much so that they had to add BlackPeopleMeet to their list of blocked sites and post a sign about it. :spinnigra:

18. Thatdamnnigger

Thatdamnnigger
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I don't read books because somehow I can't focus on big walls of text.

One could call me a nigger.

19. minty

minty
    Expand Collapse
    toymaker

pretty sure everytime i bring my book around on long trips, i never had the batteries die n the paper go blank or the flight attendant say "close your book, we need to land"...

20. lulzbomb

lulzbomb
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I just like flipping pages.

21. Manicute

Manicute
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

lol dumbass op WE amrricans dont liek 2 read, thats why we like our bewks dubbed!!

22. ilovejesus69

ilovejesus69
    Expand Collapse
    Crisis Actor

[​IMG]

23. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I found my copy of Pride and Prejudice!

24. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Nobody cares.

25. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    Why did I post this on the wrong thread?

26. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    I haven't been able to read much due to my exams for summer semester (which were today)
    but I just picked up Island by Huxley (I got it for free), and I'm reading that.
    --
    I prefer physical copies to digital usually, although I own a Nook.
    I like having a physical library.