Do we need to hunt down malware providers?

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by PerpetuallyAroused, Jul 8, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    So, maybe this is a controversial topic in a forum of such distinguished cybercriminals such as yourself, but I'm rather annoyed because I have to spend today combing over my computer. Why? Because my grandma's email got compromised. Now I'm not CERTAIN I got anything, it looks like a drive-by-download type attack aimed at directing people to a spam pharmaceutical company, but nonetheless, I am a careful bear and doing a number of scans and registry checks.

The more I think about internet/identity crime, the more ridiculous it gets. You have tens of thousands of people trying to constantly claw their way into your pockets. On the individual level you have spammers, phishers, hackers, and identity thieves, most of whom can be combatted by common sense and anti-virus tools, but the number of weak spots is ludicrous. When you use your card, the machine you are operating could have been bugged by someone. Maybe your security is fine, but not that of the website you visited. Maybe your bank is a moron and stores your information poorly. Maybe some credit card company you've never heard of is moronic enough to issue a credit card to someone who pulled your name off a long list. Maybe your work computer got fucked by somebody else on the network. Or maybe like me, your relatives are stupid and do things that compromise you.

The point is, the avenues you would have to keep track of to be totally protected are STAGGERING. And you just know there are any number of fuckwits, mostly in russia in china, but also in the US, who make a living off being a total pain in the ass. I know we're all for internet freedom and such, but its getting stupid. Its not paranoia either, every single one of us has encountered a virus at some time or another, even if we weren't affected by it. For companies, I read that the average one comes under cyberattack 80,000 times a day. Even top secret air gapped stuff like iranian centrifuges and america drones are getting fucked constantly, because all it takes is one moron, or one guy who just isn't as good as the hacker.

I know many of you are fans of lulzec and their activities sticking it to huge companies, but at the end of the day how much personal inconvenience are you willing to tolerate for the amusement?

So what do you guys think? Should we hunt down cyber criminals and beat them with clubs, or do we all need to hunker down in our unix bunkers and perform bi-weekly credit checks to make sure no one has stolen our identity?

2. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    bump to get above this kinky kelly shit

3. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    TL;DR

4. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    i'm sorry, would you like it in hebrew?

5. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

6. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    make my day by providing a clear and thoughtful response you stuxnetting jew.

7. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Microsoft, McAfee, the FBI, Scotland Yard, and an entire society of whitehats are doing their part to protect the clueless.

I'm not sure exactly what you're proposing, but trying to stomp out cybercrime on an individual level sounds like a lame fucking way to spend the weekend.

8. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    That's not what I mean, I'm posing questions about, where do we actually take this from here, do you see it as in inevitability, or something that will eventually be under control?

9. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I think where we go from here is we recruit some of these corporate haX0rs for ourselves

10. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Inevitable. Just like IRL crime, it will always exist. People have been phishing since BBS. Public awareness is the only way to slow it down. Luckily for blackhats, the public doesn't give a fuck about the internet, and won't bother to adhere to simple advice such as "use multiple passwords"

11. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I'd also like to add that the only real victims are financial institutions and merchants. If you get carded, and the niggers ring up $2k, you will be reimbursed that money by the bank and the point-of-purchase.

12. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    yeah probably, it just pisses me off when I have to spend a day crawling my drives and registry to make sure no dickweed compromised my computer. That and even if you get your money back, some of this stuff fucks your credit record. Also the chinks are starting to use these tactics to spy on people in the US and repress democracy at home, so that's annoying. I don't like foreigners in my computer and most of these douches are foreign.

There's that tension, because you know no matter how hard you look, the better viruses/worms are going to evade your viruscan and other methods, so you can never be 100% sure you are virus free.

13. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Credit monitoring companies provide a valuable service, and are dirt cheap. More people should consider them.

Keep in mind the US has always been at the forefront of military hacking. Whatever they're doing, it's a decade behind what we've already done to them.

Blackhats are always one step ahead. There's enough 0days floating around to make your head spin. When in doubt, nuke the drive and start fresh.

14. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Well I just finished a deep scan and I found a java exploit and a trojan DNS redirector, so I probably got whatever was in that stupid email, but I'm doing a few more things, as well as throwing Java away, that thing is a fucking security nightmare.

15. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I get calls sometimes from 999 numbers saying my computer is infected with viruses, first time I just hung up on them, second time someone else answered it before I had a chance so.... Next time I'm trying about trolling them severely, but I'm not sure what I should do? Any suggestions? :p

16. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

How anyone could fall for this is beyond me. I can't even understand his fuckall paki accent.

17. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

You probably got it, 95% of viruses don't dig so deep. Consider running a scan from a bootable USB.

Also don't expect Java to stay gone for too long. Browsers have a way of asking you to download it at every fucking turn.

18. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    Serious though, just don't store any compromising info on the 'puter, switch off autorun, run a non-admin account for most use, you should be fine.

19. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Its an annoying dichotomy, User account control, though a primitive bastard feature is pretty good at saying "hey wait a minute" but having it on fucks up so many games. Its not like I'm stupid about this stuff, I always run antivirus, don't click on suspicious links, etc etc. Just there are a ton of things that can be compromised.

One thing I will NEVER do though is switch to mac. I look forward to the day when macs are the most common computer, and they receive all the virus rape.

20. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    Tell them you are not sure, but you think your computer may be trying to talk to you. Sometimes when you boot it up in the morning, there will be strange text documents that say cryptic things like '''squall heel *8777&(@{{ and such.

21. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What could this mean?

8==============================D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

22. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

[​IMG]

23. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Switch to *nix.

24. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    What you need is a airhorn.
    Sure you might damage your phone but somewhere in India there is a man you half deafened.

25. TrollinRootbrian

TrollinRootbrian
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Cyber Bully
    On top of this, you should run AdBlock Plus and NoScript. Only pussies need programs like "Internet Security" and anti-virus. In the 12 years I've had my own computer, I've never had a virus. Mainly because I don't download stupid shit or click on dodgy looking links on Failbook or in my email.

Using web based email instead of a program like Outlook also cuts down on the chance of getting anything nasty.

26. tokumei

tokumei
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sea Lawyer
    [​IMG]

27. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    This.

Also, AdBlockPlus & NoScript as TRB said.

28. TrollinRootbrian

TrollinRootbrian
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Cyber Bully
    lol. I remember Bonzai Buddy. I installed it once out of curiosity. I figured it didn't matter if my O/S was fubar'd because I was due for my bi-annual reinstall of Windows 2000 at the time anyways.

29. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

[​IMG]

Save us, Norton

30. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    lolz Norton.

Their methodology was to rape your computer so thoroughly that nothing runs except viruses.