DARK SOULS

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Sublime, Oct 6, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone's Favorite Evil Bitch

Faggot Police
    Who else is playing Dark Souls? Me and my bf picked it up Monday night and I think I've played 10 hours so far - good thing I didn't have work yesterday. This game............is so fucking hard. SO HARD. It's what I expected, but still. Very frustrating to continue from the same place 20+ times because you keep dying. More frustrating still when you lose all your souls because you were too careless getting back to your last death place......Rrrg. So, share your rage and frustration, or gloat over how far you've gotten or how many dipshits you've killed as a Black Phantom. Or share how many times you died at that fucking dragon. Whatever.

My funny story: yesterday I was trying to join my bf's game as a White Phantom, but he couldn't see my soul sign. (Stupid online system is the only thing I hate about DS.) So while I waited, I got summoned by someone else. I helped him, then we tried to fight the giant knight with the giant sword on top of that spiral tower just before you reach Undead Parish, and I died. So I went back to trying to get summoned by my bf. A few minutes later that guy I tried to help sent me a friend request, which I ignored. Not long after that, I got summoned again....by the same guy. It was getting creepy by that point so I rolled off a cliff and we switched to me being human, and I tried to summon him, which eventually worked. Of course.

If you've never played Dark Souls/Demon Souls, pick it up! I highly recommend it. Unless you're a pussy faggot who can't handle a game that's a little difficult. (Rather, really fucking hard.) And Xbox fags, no excuse this time, it's available for you too.

Picture tiem:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Dark Souls came out? Awesome, I felt like breaking a couple controllers recently.

3. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Yess, go get it, it came out yesterday. It's so good, and so hard. I almost broke my controller yesterday, myself. Stupid Dual Shocks aren't cheap, though. :(

4. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I'm a faggot that only buys the Sony ones, though. Also, the anger management classes are gonna cost a shitload.

5. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Yeah, I meant "aren't". Stupid typo. I don't like the knock-off brands, too cheesy. I've actually wanted to buy one of the colored Dual Shocks (blue all the way) but they cost too much.

Anger management.....yes, I will be needing that by the time the week is up. Demon Souls almost made me bust a vein, and so far this is just as difficult.

6. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I liked the first because no matter how many times you die I never felt like it cheated me. Does Dark Souls do any cheap bullshit? Also, I thought the color ones were same-price.

7. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Yeah, but $54 is still more than I want to pay, especially since I already have a working (black) one.

Cheap? Well, I thought putting rats that push you back as they attack you (with poison) near a ledge where you can easily be pushed off if you don't kill them fast enough was cheap; I thought having three guys with firebombs barge in a room where you are trying to fight off a knight and two axe guys was cheap; I thought that having two crossbowmen standing at the ladder you are trying to climb switch to swords just as you reach the top so they can slice your life down while you're barely climbing up was cheap. I guess it depends on your definition of cheap. Also, I haven't gotten very far so the game might be much more cheap later. (Also I'm a thief class so these "cheap" moments of mine might be not so cheap for a knight or a warrior.)

8. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Talking about Dead Souls or Demon Souls?

9. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Dark Souls. I haven't played Demon Souls in a while, so I don't remember off the top of my head the cheapest moments there, but I was playing Dark Souls last night and those are something things I thought were cheap.

10. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I heard it pulled cheapshit moves. I'll still get it, though. Demon Souls is one of my favorite ps3 games.

11. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
    Since Dark Souls is supposed to be a successor to Demon's Souls, which was nothing but a boring and tedious RPG overrated as "TEH HARDEST GAEM EVAR!!!!11!", I don't really feel like wasting money on it.

Though I hope those who do get it enjoy it very much :)

12. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

It wasn't the hardest game ever, it was just that the general public couldn't handle something more complex than "Shoot da guy and rub jelly off your face."

13. Genocide.exe

Genocide.exe
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Benefit Absorber
    FUCK YES, DARK SOULS. /v/irgin here, I've been waiting forever for this fucking game.

14. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
    can anyone compare this to demon's souls for me and answer this question?:

Q:Is it any less boring?

15. ModSquad

ModSquad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Professional Gamer
    Home Page:
    I just finished beating up that stupid as shit butterfly boss. Man, being a melee only class with no spells it was interesting to say the least.

To those out there, if your having trouble with the game and keep dying a lot, once you get your summon item, place it for fuck sakes, join other peoples games and actually learn how to play!

But it took me a while to wrap my head around the concept of not having any town zone, I'm half expecting to find a town similar to Demons Souls, which I just last month finished beating it for my first time.

If anyone is stuck on those gargoyle bosses, heres a tip: Try using a perishable item that temporarly enchants your weapon with the Thunder Element, them bitches melt like butter

16. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Tell me why you thought Demon Souls was boring and I'll tell you if Dark Souls is better/worse/the same.

Fuck, I haven't gotten to the butterfly boss yet. I killed that freak after the blacksmith, just outside of Darkroot Garden, but I went down to Darkroot Basin, the Black Knight, and Valley of Drakes. Where I promptly got my ass handed to me (several times) by drakes to the point where I gave up on that. I'm thief class, so while I mostly use a sword I do have a bow and some throwing knives that are pretty useful due to my high dexterity. Hopefully it won't be too much of a pain in the ass to kill.

Gotta agree with the soulsigns, it really does help to learn how to fight a boss. Although I got lost in Blightburg and when I tried to help someone, he was as lost as me, and he eventually fell of a ledge. Haha. As far as the gargoyles go, having a thunder element weapon is very good. Another suggestion is, revive as human, then go to the edge of the fog and summon Knight Soltaire, the guy who gave you the soulsign stone, his sign is right outside the door. (Of course, you can also summon another player, but just one or you won't be able to summon Soltaire.) He's got really good armor that can take the hits, and also uses thunder magic of some sort which makes short work of the gargoyles.

You know, I kinda like not having a main base, per se. (Although Firelink Shrine is pretty much as main base as it gets.) I haven't played Demon Souls in over a year, never did beat it (sadly). But I like all the areas being interconnected, even the Undead Asylum. It's different in a good way, at least for me.

Edit: Lol at the fact that people find this topic by searching for "why is dark souls so fucking hard".

17. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
    Did you have to face the same exact fucking enemies each level?
    Was the combat just DEFEND, DODGE, ATTACK, REPEAT?
    Is it an actual challenge or is it just tedious/annoying?

18. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    -Not the same enemies, no levels. While Demon Souls had one main area (Nexus) and several levels you could reach from that one main area, Dark Souls is much more open world. You start in one area, get transported to another area (Firelink Shrine), which is the main area of sorts. From there you can reach everywhere else, but those other places are also connected with each other. The enemies are different for each area, but get harder (more life, more intelligence, more status effects, etc) as you go on. It's easy to run into an area you aren't capable of exploring due to the enemies being too strong in Dark Souls. Memorable for me was wandering around an area behind Firelink, just exploring, when I came across some ghost things. I thought, hmm, let's check this, only to find I couldn't damage them, and got fatality'd. Turns out there's an item you need to use before you can actually damage the damn ghosts.

-For me, my attack pattern is usually BLOCK, HEAVY ATTACK, REPEAT, unless of course the enemies are strong enough to take my heavy attack, then I'll dodge after attacking, since my character doesn't take strong hits. Sometimes the enemies are blocking near constantly (damn spear guys), so I'll strafe around to backattack them. (Sometimes I backattack for the lulz and extra souls.) Of course, none of this works on bosses. For bosses, it's more like DODGE DODGE FUCKING DODGE, ATTACK QUICKLY, DODGE AGAIN. Although, each boss is very different. (Speaking of which, there are many more bosses in Dark Souls than Demon Souls.)

-I find it a challenge (almost too much a challenge, I get so pissed off), but then again I found Demon Souls to be challenging (also pissed me off). I will say this, Dark Souls is harder than Demon Souls. But of course, it can get tedious if you get to the bonfire (checkpoint type thing), go through part of the area, die, then have to start at the bonfire again, and repeat this several times. I got so mad the other day because I kept dying at the boss and had to start back at the bonfire, which was far away. But a game like Dark Souls rewards perseverance so if you don't give up, you'll eventually get it. (Also, summoning souls/helping as a soul helps greatly.)

19. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
    Hmm, that encouraged me to stop being so hard on the game and now I might get it after giving Demon's Souls another chance. Thanks.

20. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    I'm glad I could help. Have fun dying! :awesomesmall:

21. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I got the game after you recommended it and I've only gotten 30 minutes in, but already it's hard as shit. I love how they expect you to fight a boss like 10 minutes in. This game is Battletoads reincarnated.

22. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    I know, it really is. Which class did you choose? Sometimes, if you keep dying indiscriminately, it might be a good idea to change classes. In Demon Souls, I started with a thief character, but kept taking hits - and therefore dying right and left. I changed to knight, and voila! I could take hits and dish it out, too. It was still hard, especially later, but at least in the beginning I could get a handle on it without dying too much. In Dark Souls, I started with bandit but changed to thief when I decided I wanted to be a backstabber instead of a tank. I'm doing much better, you just have to lrn2roll. But beware of cliffs.

23. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I chose Wanderer. It's a good class so far, but more accustomed to dodging around then blocking. His stats seem to be more all-around, so I could probably mix attack types later in the game. I was going to choose the Deprived for the lulz, but remembered my experience with Demon Souls.

24. ModSquad

ModSquad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Professional Gamer
    Home Page:

I dont like this guy but he hits the nail right on the head for beginners tips.

Your class doesnt really matter, its just a framework on how you will progress your character since all classes can use anything.

25. TheDude2894

TheDude2894
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I remember there was one video series that showed a guy beating Demon Souls in an hour. That made me feel like I sucked arse at the game.

26. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    Lol, Deprived. I saw that class, pretty funny. I thought it was also funny that they have such a complicated character customization (which I love) but then you spend half your time as a zombie-looking Undead, which seems to be a waste of the time I spent adjusting the facial characteristics. Oh well, I still enjoy creating the characters.

Wow, that guy is a douchebag. Makes me want to turn it off and not listen to anything he has to say. But I agree, it's good advice. My thief carries a magic sword with a big shield, and also uses a long bow and a catalyst (one spell, Soul Arrow). I've always been bad about sticking with one "class", exactly. In Oblivion my character was a spellsword, but I was also a thief, an assassin, and a mage. Who carried a mace. And heavy armor. I think in Skyrim, I'll try a little harder to be a more specific class. Or, maybe not.

27. ModSquad

ModSquad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Professional Gamer
    Home Page:
    Trust me, I don't like this douche anymore than you do but his starting beginner tips are very useful to know.
    As for the speedrun of Demons Souls, yeah someone has beaten the game in record time and posted it to speeddemosarchive. I'll post the link

http://speeddemosarchive.com/DemonsSouls.html

You can watch the video streamed on that page as this guy beats Demons Souls in 1 hour and 4 minutes. Really interesting to watch for all those DS players.

28. Sublime

Sublime
    Expand Collapse

Faggot Police
    So I opened the door in Darkroot Gardens, those guys are fucked up. I can fight the visible ones well enough, but the invisible ones (damn that ring of fog) are way hard to kill. Especially the knight with the big ass sword. I like to backstab my enemies, but without lock on it's hard to get behind them the right angle. And that thief can backstab you faster than you can say, Oh fuck, if you're not careful.

On the plus side, it's easy to get lots of souls, fast. I accidentally hit the Smith just outside of Darkroot Garden, and he killed me. I didn't want to kill him and lose his services, so I turned to my good old pal, Google. I found a site that advised talking to the weird priest guy in the bell tower, who can absolve your sins and un-aggro any characters that are angry with you. It cost me 50,000, but killing those guys beyond that door in Darkroot really helped. And I got the Smith back on my side. :D

Modsquad, are you really level 61 (or 67)? I'm like 25, but I haven't been playing it a lot. Fable III was on sale on Steam and my bf bought it for me, so I was playing that. Plus me, my bf, and his friend have all been playing AVP on Steam and Skype. Lots of fun. Anyway, how are the Catacombs? I heard they were really fucking hard. Also the skeli's don't stay dead?

29. ModSquad

ModSquad
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Professional Gamer
    Home Page:
    You're right! Those fucking skellys dont stay dead! You need to find in Drake Valley a sword with Holy element or create one of your own weapons into the holy element, those skellys will stay dead after you kill them with it.

Yeah, I got myself to Lv 66 right now, need to update my backloggery. I gotta say though the game gets insanely better as you explore new areas and clear out new bosses. I'm impressed with how friggin scary my current zone is that I'm working on right now.

I can't remember correctly if it was called Old Anor, but basically it's a ghost town cavern. Fucking ghosts hurt you and the only way to hit em back is to be cursed (halves your HP until you get uncursed) or unless if you find some items inside that cave that temporary allows you to be cursed.

Anyone who has a console, get this fucking game and it will put hair on your chest, if you're a lady it will get you laid.

30. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

It's not that hard.