Consumerism and Toys with kids

Discussion in 'Hard Gay Shitpost Metropolis' started by ExplosiveDiareah, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

i was a pretty reserved kid when growing up, i had learned to despise Toy commercials because i had discovered at an early age how evil and treacherous they were.
    i despised toy commercials.
    on the same level adults did i always felt extremely embarassed by my peers who always upon seeing a toy commercial for some shitty movie or comic or pokemon tie in franchise would immediately bug their parents to buy it for them, shit like that spiderman wrist thing that shoots silly string, it was embarrassing like come on, got any dignity?

I had Still have a playstation with a mod chip, which could play pirate games, and i envied NOBODY, i lived like a real kid was supposed to live, more interested in making guns out of random pieces of shit laying around which was cobbled together to make gun props, that me and my friends would take up and then play war games next door in the scrub, running around and having little death matches, it was fun shit, real spergin imagination shit right there, we would have many adventures.

While the kids who needed the anticipation of chinese made plastic shit to constantly be coming their way to feel satisfied, if only for a short time would always end with the same way.
    A new toy commercial for saturday morning cartoons would come on, some COLLECT EM ALL SET of beyblades or pokemon, action man or spiderman, or some shit, and it was always....
    OMG!!!! MOMMY DADDY I WANT I WANT I WANT I WANT and then 50 dollars later and 2 weeks later the Toy is out in the backyard bleached by the sun cracking and missing pieces.
    I got tired of visiting those kids when i was young, because i would always be stepping on pieces of plastic shit, some shard of something, the backyards were always littered with pieces of die cast metal and razor sharp plastic shards, littered through out the soil like chocolate chips of pain....

And *I*?? well i rode a motorbike that is all young boys should have, is a mini dirt bike, and a videogame console,

Everything else can be fun in just going the fuck outside and playing around.
    @Flu @Stormtrooper

any of you have any opiniosn or insights into this?
    We all know what those kids turned into when they grew up, the ones who fell for the Pokemon and Digimon and cartoon based toy shit, like Mcdonalds happy meals, they became terrible self absorbed aspies with a huge sense of self entitlement.
    And more often than not.... BASEMENT DWELLERS.

my only regret back then was not being able to build my own tree house.
    i tried, but there were no tree's big enough to support one.

2. The Doctor

The Doctor
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Doesn't Work
    Home Page:
    I could've gotten a PS3 when I was 8, but I turned down my parents' offer to get a Playstation 2 instead.

I've only bought one or two toys from my childhood and I remember it was an Optimus Prime and Spider-Man action figure. Well, I threw a tantrum at some point and broke them into pieces.

After that I started playing video games.

3. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    I've always liked toys. When I was a little kid - granted, I'm 28 so I had real man's toys: like fucking magic barbarians and elite American assassins - when I had those toys and would watch their ads on TV, I would be immediately taken in; not suckered, but taken into the fantasy of the advertisement; because that's what ads do - teach kids how to play with the toy. But it was when I was about eight I went to the toy store after bothering my dad to buy me this particular toy because of the commercials. He called my bluff and took me. He showed me the toy and said, "Well, here it is. Does it still seem as exciting [not flying around a commercial?]" It didn't.
    But I still ALWAYS appreciated the aesthetics of toys. And as I got older, the marketing. I'd love to market toys. Fuck kids! Fuck their parents! And shortly after I had this revelation when I was maybe 12, I realized that with some rocks - or later some dice - I could actually make the toys come to a sort of half-life and battle for my entertainment. In a sense, a series of rules - even the rudimentary ones of my youth, had the power to give energy to inanimate figures.

It was the digital generation who got fucked. They were the ones who relied on another programmer. They, who think themselves immune to the crassness of it all, were at the mercy of a programmer. Whereas I by-passed the toys marketing - I even by-passed the toys, making my own, and gave them their own stories, own powers, and own life.

AND SO I BECAME THE PUPPET MASTER.!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    What a sad childhood you had.

5. Immortal_Cake

Immortal_Cake
    Expand Collapse
    Noice

B.S. in Bullshit
    Home Page:
    I'm too impatient to give a fuck about what any of the TL;DR's said and I just felt like letting you know, despite knowing that neither of us gives a fuck.

6. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Then get the fuck out, only those serious about talking of their childhood splergins and spergins may post here.

7. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

With all the stuff you do with making warhammer sets, why don't you see about scultping our your own action figures that can be posed in many ways and even talk? it is hard, but it is a challenge, and you can create stories and make them come to life in Stop Motion animation.

Hell, even plastacine could do it.
    but now they have thermal setting plastics, so you can make and sculpt your characters pieces, as if it were plastacine and then cure them in an oven with a gentle heat for half an hour, then you have the pieces to assemble into the dolls.

8. Moscow

Moscow
    Expand Collapse
    It's not just about football

Judging you
    Home Page:
    same here bro. I was never a sociable kid so I never really played that much with others, but I appreciated that a stick of wood can be sword, it can be a rifle, it can be a wizard's staff. I loved playing pretend in my own world. I'm a child of the 90's (born '93) so I've witnessed first hand the transition from childrens use of imagination to electronic frippery. hell, when I was 10 I was lucky to have some actual toys, now my 10yo sister has a 3ds, a laptop (admittedly ancient and outmoded) and more shit than she knows waht do do with.
    on a side note disney land was also soemthing that I despised. whenever some kid said "oohg we're going to disneyland" I always had a kind of apathetic leer with which to fix them.
    Actually I think you probs had a sad childhood if you think that playing make believe with bits of junk equals a poor childhood and it sounds like you're jelly of the fact that he had the imagination to make anything a toy. I bet you were spoon fed what was and what wasn't supposed to be fun from the mouth of the TV.

9. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    actually, i already make stop animation movies. ONE STEP AHEAD OF YOU, BRO!

10. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    ever seen a GI Joe stop-motion-jack a guy off? while a voice over cries, "LUB U DADDIE!!" I have... because i made it so.

11. dignitator

dignitator
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

naruto's ninja HQ dojo
    I wish to see this. Urgently.

12. Flu

Flu
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

milk man
    Home Page:
    send $120 to my user page so I can buy a Gram of smack... and you can see whatever else you want... honey.

13. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

No i have not, but do i really want to?
    it sounds like something DGtrixie would do.

then use them, because i already have plans to recreate the PSA drug guy for my own projects.
    i did plastacine animation once as an assignment, i just ripped off Harvey Krumpet and nobody even noticed.
    maybe it was because of the violence, it was more gratuitious.
    it was also very short.

14. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sentient Game-Boy Thingie
    Home Page:
    I spent my entire childhood playing outdoor games, like Cops and Robbers, Tag and Hide-and-Seek. When I did play with toys, it was with my pretty kick ass Kenner Star Wars action figures/Millennium Falcon action figure carrier. I used to mimic the sound of the Millennium Falcon cruising through the depths of space, making Han curse at 3P0 while R2 tweedled in annoyance, the Falcon chased by a few Tie-Fighters I made out of cardboard. I can't remember the hours I spent pretending to help Han replace his faulty hyper-drive in my backyard, using Chewie, Leia and Luke as cover, keeping my squad of Stormtroopers/ScoutTroopers at bay.

Fun times. I think my vivid imagination made me a strong candidate for my junior high school years, where I was real heavy into table top gaming.

15. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

And what do you think about the non stop stream of brittle grade plastic toys with limited appeal in that they are gimmick based that non stop plague the TV during kids time?

Anyway somebody shout when they find Tinga Tinga crap.

16. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sentient Game-Boy Thingie
    Home Page:
    That old adage "They don't make 'em like they used to" rings sooooo true for toys today. Inferior plastics, shit detail and too much reliance on media to sell your toy(s) are a recipe for scores of abandoned, broken cast-off toys, left by bored, un-imaginative kids

17. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

There's websites that sell Tin Toys
    high quality ones, you don't need to spend alot of money for them.

They even have the reproductions of tin robots, I've seen astronomers with the lilliput as a desk ornament.
    They are also unsafe for kids, etc etc wind up cars as well.
    I hope they bring back the smokey it was a robot that looked like a fireman and created smoke by burning oil.

things like the robo sapiens and that new dinosaur thing that crudely follows your movements and eats and poops (and that's pretty much all it does except for make lame one liner quips) will quickly get boring, they should look at making kits for kids to create their own toys from pieces to make dolls/puppets
    they have to put effort into it but they get to have fun in the process.

18. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

I was molested as a child, so naturally I had a fuckload of toys to keep me quiet. Definitely worth it.

19. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    My childhood 1-3 grades consisted of me playing RTS and FPS shooters with these two 3-4 year olds who were quite good at playing Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, and Red Alert/Tiberium Sun, playing soldiers outside, playing with army guys inside, or playing alone with legos.

When I was in 4th grade, I started playing RTS games online and stopped being sociable until freshman year of high school.

20. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

And you earned your toys! that's right, taught you responsibility, you had to work for your toys you dirty little faggot!

you weren't being spoiled or getting everything as just something to take for granted, you were working your ass off for those things.

21. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    i had a ton of toys as a kid, started modding computer games at 14 and then around 17 got thrown out in the street and didnt do any of it anymore for about eight years.

i lost more computer and technical skills than most of you will gain in your life during that time :/

then when i got the chance again to actually have money that didnt go to bills, drugs or medical expenses i bought a ton of toys and sat on my computer all the time.

i regret nothing.

also i didnt play with gay pokeshit like you pussies got. i had satanic crossbreeds of hp lovecraft and cyborgs.

granny gross out, fearsome flush, the inhumanoids, bogglins. fuck yeah.

BUSTIN MAKES ME FEEL GOOD

22. The Doctor

The Doctor
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Doesn't Work
    Home Page:
    I've played with radioactive toys when I was young, it was fun. I especially liked Earth toys. Then at the age of 90 I began college, that was when the fun was over, and I still dropped out and it was until I was 550 I received my doctorate.