CNET = SECRET RAPE.

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by beefrave, Dec 12, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. beefrave

beefrave
    Expand Collapse
    Intergalactic Internets Services LLC

www.blogtalkradio.com/magarhour
    Home Page:
    CNet's Download.com has been secretly installing adware alongside the free and open source software in its archive, in violation of its own stated policies, which claim "zero tolerance" for adware. EDF2 has some harsh words and stern advice for the company to make this right. gun-control-laws.

So, CNET, here's what you need to do to really make it right:
    Stop bundling adware into your installer. Failing that,
    1. Rewrite your adware policy to admit that Download.com no longer has a “zero tolerance” policy for bundled adware, and make the change public, so users and developers know about it.
    2. If you are going to allow ads, make sure they are not deceptive. This means it should be very clear that the ad is entirely separate from the install process (and no “accept” buttons where “next step” should be), and that the developer of the software the user actually wants has nothing to do with the advertised app.
    3. Clean up the mess: prominently offer, on the front page of the Download.com site and as part of the ads themselves, to assist users with uninstalling any advertised software they may have unknowingly installed.
    4. Right now, many users won’t know they can download the software without the adware. Direct download should be the default process, and users who choose to use the Download.com installer should know, before they do, that the process will include advertising or other software they might not want.
    5. Until the “opt-in” procedure is well-established, cease bundling adware for commercial as well as open source applications.

2. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
  3. h0xnbl0w

h0xnbl0w
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Dungeon Keeper
    Home Page:
    If you use a website called download.com to get your shit you deserve whatever's coming your way.
    Also lold at all the skiddies who got owned by them this way.

4. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Adware? In MY CNet?

5. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

You know, I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who knew that shit had adware before they got caught delivering adware.

6. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    CENT shit is shit.
    Didn't need EDF to tell me that.

7. beefrave

beefrave
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    well they did so suck it :)

8. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Thanks for telling me this, @beefrave. I'll be more cautious when trusting long-term sources of free software from now on.

9. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Their Youtube downloader will infect your browser and redirect EVERYTHING to Searchconduit.com everything you do, every page you load or send, will be directed through search conduit.

I had to nuke my computer back to default settings a year ago and it got rid of it all, and i put Cnet on my browsers blacklist as a viral site.
    this kind of business is actually ILLEGAL by proper definitions, as you must have EXPLICIT CONSENT from a person before hijacking their internet use.

10. beefrave

beefrave
    Expand Collapse

Home Page:
    n e tyme