Buddhism.

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Suiseiseki, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Mahayana Buddhist here.

If you has any questions about it, ask away.

2. Zoinks

Zoinks
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Have you found buddha?

3. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    what made you follow Mahayana Buddhism?
    were you religious beforehand?

4. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What does "finding Buddha" mean to you? Siddharta Gautama, called Buddha, was a normal human being.
    But the Zen Masters said : your very Mind is the Buddha. Finding Buddha would mean finding your own Mind. How do you do that?
    How can Mind find itself? Not by facing anything outwardly. Anything outside of the mind is not Buddha. That is why Linji said:

Therefore, to conclude: I have not found Buddha yet; but if I ever find him, I'll kill him.

-

5. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Path:

1) Raised Catholic in a Catholic family;
    2) Then, around age 11, turned 100% Atheist.
    3) Read a lot of Nietzsche from 14 to 18; became not only atheist but anti-religious and especially anti-christian.
    4) Around 20 got fascinated by European Paganism & Mythology.
    5) Had a brief Christian moment that lasted only a few months in my early 20s.
    6) Buddhism always seemed silly to me, and like a religion that denies life and the joy of living, a path of renunciation.
    7) Later was depressed; heard David Lynch (the director) praise Transcendental Meditation.
    8) Tried it a lot, didn't work for me, found Alan Watts, listened to a lot of his talks.
    9) Got interested in Taoism, Advaita Vedanta, but not Buddhism (still had my strong aversion to it).
    10) Bought a cushion. Tried anapanasati (Buddhist meditation on breath), did it for a few months, experiences were very interesting (can't describe here).
    11) Gave up my preconceptions and started really reading Buddha's teachings on dukkha (suffering) - listened to many Buddhist talks, read Buddhist philosophers.
    12) Depression gone.
    13) At this time I was still more interested in Theravada than Mahayana, because Theravada seemed to be the original while Mahayana had additions.
    14) Got interested in Chinese Zen, read the Zen classics.
    15) And since Zen is Mahayana ...
    16) Started reading the Mahayana Sutras ...
    17) Progressed in meditation, experienced things literally out of this world.
    18) Found that Buddhism (especially Mahayana) provided the best explanations of meditative experiences but also of everything else.
    19) Since then I've been studying Dogen's 1144 pages long book on Buddhism/Zen called Shobogenzo.
    20) Yet to be seen. (I plan on spending at least months or even years in a Zen temple in Japan.)

Something like that. Sorry for going so much into details.

6. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    no no no, thats actually pretty interesting.
    how do your parents feel about you being Mahayana Buddhist?

7. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:
    Well, do you recommend it and why? Curious as to why people follow this religion. I myself am Atheist though I was raised Catholic.

8. Zoinks

Zoinks
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I meant have you found the buddha within you.

I am having a little trouble understanding what you said. The message i got from your posting was that there is no in nor out, it just is. correct? You history reminds me a lot of myself, going through alan watts, and reading buddha teachings. Have you ever heard of ramana maharshi?

9. Zoinks

Zoinks
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

From my limited knowledge, it is more then a religion, it is a way of life. It is like a balance and equanimity between you and others. imho

10. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:

Every religion has rules to live your life by. Thus being a way of life. I just want to know why people would choose this one from a firsthand source.

11. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I never declare "I Am a Buddhist!" - Buddhism doesn't require you to do that. I don't know how they see it. But they're not the intolerant Christian type. If they ever ask me directly, I'll explain.

Zen master Dogen even said:

12. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:

13. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

He's the Advaita Vedanta teacher, right?
    I know of him and his followers.

14. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

There are some striking differences between Buddhism and other religions:

- There is no "God" in Buddhism;
    - Buddhism doesn't claim to be exclusive;
    - Buddha never said he was anything but a normal man, enlightened, but just a man;
    - Buddha never said "believe in me and you will have eternal life" - but "put what I say into practice, test is as a hypothesis";
    - He never focused on irrelevant things like obsessing over arbitrary stuff but taught about dukkha - suffering - and the cessation thereof;
    - Buddhism made me understand Christianity better;
    - Buddhism made me more Christian then I was before meeting Buddhism (in a strange way);
    - Buddhism includes the teachings of other religions, moral philosophers, but supersedes them and goes way beyond;
    - It contains a path anyone can follow; not a path of worship but of Buddhahood (which means just: being awakened) - you too can awaken and become the same as Buddha. In Christianity, your aim is to be a good Christian (devotee of Christ). In Buddhism, you can aim to become equal to Buddha.
    - Most importantly for me is that it is, above all, practice. Not theory. Practice of meditation, wisdom and morality.

15. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Buddhism doesn't have commandments or sins, only recommendations.
    The goal of a Mahayanist is to free all sentient beings from suffering. Master Dogen gave that advice (to not spread religion).
    On this anonymous forum I decided to speak about it in case someone is interested.

16. Negi Springfield

Negi Springfield
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I don't want to be a buzzkill, but I think I made a thread about Buddhism already.

You are one already.

17. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:
    Interesting. It sounds like a good way to live as well. Thank you for explaining.

18. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Really? I thought there was one for all Eastern religions only?

19. Negi Springfield

Negi Springfield
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Buddhism was in the mix because it is akin to a "churchy" religion in most of the Far and Southeast Asian nations.

I don't know how you'll see that statement, but it was for Buddhism and that's pretty much what I made it for. I included common forms of spirit worship (Taoism and Shintou) because they also play a big role.

20. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

But is there a rule against making redundant threads? I thought your thread was for all Eastern and I'd make one specifically for Buddhism if anyone is interested in any of its aspects, views, philosophy, doctrine. Just don't sue me if you have a patent on Buddhist threads! :efriends: Jokes aside, the more, the better. Much better than all the stupid shit that gets discussed otherwise. :words:

21. Negi Springfield

Negi Springfield
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I agree with and approve of this thread.

proceed.

22. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Posting this in this thread also so people don't believe this garbage.

In other words, "I'm too afraid to hurt other people's feelings, so we can all be right!" That may fly for first graders, but in the real world that's a joke.

Racism is obviously necessary, open your eyes. It's no coincidence that niggers have a primitive, inhuman nature to them. Bigotry is what a fag cries when we don't want to submit to others and accept their wrong and moronic viewpoints - same goes with intolerance. And your Jewish rulers have been teaching you not to hate so you would be submissive when they fuck you in the ass.

You are everything wrong about the world.

23. Chainsaw surgeon

Chainsaw surgeon
    Expand Collapse
    EDF's anal hookworm

cockless
  24. Suiseiseki

Suiseiseki
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

No, from my point of view, all religions reach a certain point; but only Buddhism goes all the way.

You're literally saying that every black person is inhuman?

I don't know why you say what my "Jewish rulers" tell me? I am telling you I'm following Mahayana Buddhism, that means my "teachers" were Indian, Chinese and Japanese. That's as far from "Jewish" as can be. And I have nothing whatsoever against Jews. They're actually one of the most amazing peoples (look at all the geniuses they produced).

But you on the other hand? Jewish messiah, Jewish holy book, Jewish God (Yahweh)? - And then tell ME that I'm brainwashed by "Jews" because I'm following a Chinese version of an Indian religion that predates Chrstianity, and if we consider the Vedanta roots, predates Judaism and the Bible?

You trolling me, brah?

25. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Mahayana? Pffft, conformist.

26. Negi Springfield

Negi Springfield
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Not really.

Mahayana is a umbrella term, encompassing a large variety of Buddhist religious practice and belief. Within Mahayana Buddhism is the familiar Zen sects, Maitreiya Buddha sects, and forms of Vajrayana or esoteric Buddhism.

27. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Explain?

Not exactly. If you raise a nigger within a community of white people, they seem to be lesser inhuman - kind of like a pet. They are still animals, we just had to train them.

Jews control the world, except for the true Christians such as myself. Your poor excuse for beliefs are deeply affected by them.

Your brain seems to quickly hide any embarrassment that comes your way - because in the other thread I proved Jesus wasn't a Jew. You were nothing short of speechless and astounded.

No, I'm merely destroying any belief you though you had. :)

28. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

29. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Iesus Nazarenus, Rex Iudaeorum