Boondocks

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by MrGask, Dec 7, 2011.

1. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    Aaron McGruder set out to make an American manga, by writing/drawing the Boondocks strip. In the last few years he has made a few (3) seasons of animated cartoon Boondocks. I would assume his aim with the series, besides pissing of everyone to ever exist, was to make an American anime (sorta like Samurai Champloo, but made by/in America). Do you think he has succeeded in this goal?

2. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    I don't think that was his goal at all.

His newspaper strip was never really in manga style except for the last few years after the show aired and he started improving his art to match the show a little bit. (I think.)
    The comics always looked more like peanuts comic's... if peanuts comics had someone spill coffee on them and could only be drawn in profile.
    The show itself was defiantly heavily influenced by anime,as was it's maker by his own admition. But is was also animated by a japanese animation studio. In this case it's hard to say what came first,the chicken or the egg.

The goal of the show was to be a satirical criticism of black culture in america. In a way "Boondocks" is to african americans as "Dilbert" office workers in the mid nineties or "Daria" was to cynical reclusive teens. Or,to put it in terms people on this forum might understand, As "Lucky star" was to otaku culture.

3. KelpBurn

KelpBurn
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Proffessional Brony
    I don't think that Lucky Star was a good analogy, but I guess the picture is pretty clear. It's a good show in any case. Tons of laughs.