Best food-related blogs

Discussion in 'Food, Drugs & Alcohol' started by Lloyd, Jan 7, 2012.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Now I love to read about food, and look at pretty pictures of it. Food blogs are great for that. So I want to read more food blogs. So, go ahead and recommend some good ones.

One of my personal favorites is Jewel Staite's Happy Opu blog. It has all I want in a food blog: good writing about fancy food and drink, and pretty pictures that are no less pretty for the inclusion of the blogger's likeness. Yes, like many blogs it's somewhat poser-ish, but it's still great.

[​IMG]

Edit: I just realized I forgot to link to said blog: http://happyopu.net/

2. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Oh, I though that said food related drugs. Sorry man, I have no idea.

3. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Food-related drugs? Like, alka-seltzer?

4. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Fuck, I don't know. Pot edibles, shit you put in your face that makes you high. I made the mistake of buying ten dollar granola bars from a nigger dealer, and I'm pretty sure that they are the flavor and consistency of grass and wet sawdust.

5. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I wouldn't buy anything that I'm supposed to eat from a dealer, much less a nigger one.

6. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Firefly!

haha, nice

7. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Don't read any, read the occassional restaurant review in the free paper on the way to work.

Have you any berlin related tips, you're relatively near there and I go there quite a bit so could always use helpful hints.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

"Relatively" being the word here - I live about 300 miles away from Berlin, so I don't go there all that often, and when I do I mostly stay with friends and eat at their places or at various fast-food places.

But here's some hints anyway:

Food & Drink:
    Pratergarten - Berlin's best and biggest beer garden, pretty touristy though - their Schnitzel is awesome

There are some pretty great deli's - Konopke's in Charlottenburg is prob the best, the prices are hefty, but if you like your food teutonic and meaty this is for you - their headcheese varieties are great!

Then of course there are tons of Kebap places, some really good, some not so much. Best one I know of is the Zehlendorf Grill. As the name implies it's in Zehlendorf, can't remember which street, though. Their garlic sauce is fantastic.

Ta Cabron - prob the only mexican restaurant in Germany I have been to that comes close to the real deal (not as good as those you'd find in California, but still pretty damn good)

Bars & Clubs:
    Too many to name, avoid the touristy places, I love the small drunkard dives the best - one of the foulest dens is "Alptraum" (Nightmare) in Kreuzberg - go there on weekdays to get the true Berlin drunkard experience.

One I remember especially is "White Trash fast Food" - it's not actually a fast food place (though they do serve decent burgers), but a bar/club in the style of an over the top American diner. Kitschy Americana mixed with a punk-rock flair - they play great music, if you're into rockabilly and such anyway. It's in Prenzlauer Berg.

Where do you live btw, seeing how you're going to Berlin "quite a bit"?

9. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I see, for some reason i thought you were much closer, not sure how i came to that conclusion.

I'm in london, but my lady friend lives in frankfurt, so we normally hang out in berlin 2 0r 3 times a year.

Was toying with the idea of living there if i could work remotely.

10. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Roughly translates as "'Is a Motherfucker" or maybe as "Is the Shit"
    haha

11. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Why go all the way to Berlin? Frankfurt is a great city to party in my experience, and not as expensive as Berlin.
    Well, it's quite non-mainstream as far as restaurants go, as the food is pretty damn hot for European tastes and the selection is not what you'd might expect (little mainstream "Mexican" food, but lots of weird stuff), maybe they wanted the name to reflect that.

12. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Btw, it surprised me a bit you didn't reply to my first post in this thread

Have you seen Firefly? If not, you must. Quite charming and clever in its not-taking-itself-too-much-seriously way

13. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I watched the whole single season and the movie, and I liked it. Not ZOMG!LOVEDIT!, but I thought it was pretty entertaining and had its moments. Problem is, science-fiction-wise I lean more in the "Alien" direction of things, with evil monsters and gritty space marines and dirty steel and shit. And some of Joss Whedon's writing peculiarities annoyed me back in "Buffy" already (stuff like having characters say "look at all the pretty" - who the fuck talks like that).

14. Andria Kilgore

Andria Kilgore
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Dead
  15. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Oh fuck, that made my day. Best laugh I've had this week, in fact.

Well now. I do like food, but somehow I find food in a sexual context a real turn off. Like, imagine you're banging some chick and suddenly it smells like bacon grease. Not her vagina either, the room just starts to smell like it. I think I'd be real nauseated in an instant.

And wtf is up with the chocolate sauce? That shit's like methadone treatment for scat fetishists, or what?.

16. Andria Kilgore

Andria Kilgore
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Dead
    I think that site is hilarious too, and thinking about food in a sexual context turns me off very quickly, after an experiment where I had the idea to use Crisco (a vegetable oil-based lard substitute, don't know if they have it in Germany) as lube when I was having sex with a barely legal Goth chick, since we had a choice of Crisco or Preparation "H". Not only did it feel bad, it turned rancid very quickly, with awful-smelling results on both sides. I'd have rather used Preparation "H" and had a better chance of keeping the relationship.

17. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Well, with a goth chick chances are the relationship would have turned rancid sooner or later anyway. We have similar stuff to Crisco, called Biskin. I can only shudder at the thought of having that anywhere near me while having sex. Come to think of it, you've ever watched "Last Tango in Paris"? There's a scene where Marlon Brando fucks Maria Schneider up the ass using butter as lube. I guess in 1972 that was as good as it got.

18. Andria Kilgore

Andria Kilgore
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Dead
    LOL... I would think so. Weeaboos (with the exception of Khana) and emos are just as bad. Never seen that film, but why doesn't it surprise me that Marlon Brando used butter as anal lube? I had to use gasoline to remove the Crisco, and got burned by it.

19. xy0xy1

xy0xy1
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

kissin where it smells funny
    Home Page:
    thisiswhyyourefat.com