Best Final Fantasy

Discussion in 'Video Games & Weeaboo Shit' started by Aroukar, Aug 23, 2012.

?

Your preference.

1. Other choices. (I-V)

7.0%
  2. VI

23.3%
  3. VII

7.0%
  4. VIII

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. IX

9.3%
  6. X, X-2

7.0%
  7. XII

11.6%
  8. XIII, XIII-2

7.0%
  9. A spin-off title, or the two online games.

9.3%
  10. None.

18.6%
  1. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    In my opinion, I felt that 12 was just right, bringing many elements together into one satifying package. I found the storyline to be very compelling, without being too unrealistic. I still play it again, if not to complete optional objectives, then to enjoy the ambience and music.

2. jack

jack
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

the right and only answer is 6.faggots

3. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
    IX, V, II, VII

XII's presentation and character development was mediocre at best, but it definitely has the best gameplay, imo.

4. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    Yes the character's were a little unbelievable weren't they? Yet I found that I could relate to them very well. No "chosen ones" or "warriors of light", just regular people trying to fix their lot in life. Sky pirate, a wannabe sky pirate, a disgraced knight, the princess of a fallen kingdom, the wannabe's supportive "friend", and a mysterious exotic (probably the least developed character, I think). The world is not threatened by destruction, such as in previous installments.

5. The Lieutenant

The Lieutenant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The Lieutenant
    X, because of those awful pants.

6. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    I loved most of the final fantasies when I was a kid, but I recently tried to replay most of them and I wasn't really that wowed anymore.

Though, I am still fond of final fantasy IX. However, it sorta fizzled out by the end.

7. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
    Yeah, I actually liked the political conflict, some of the characters weren't terrible, but the main character is so bad it...
    [​IMG]

...yeah, I did love playing as the 13 espers though.

8. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Sadly I haven't played many FF so I can't say who is the better, but I loved Chocobo Racing and FF tactic.

9. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    It was supposed to be Basch, the disgraced knight, but nooooo, they had to go for the fangirls didn't they?

10. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    My favorite man Basch.
    [​IMG]
    Failing that, Balthier's #2.
    [​IMG]

11. Azrael

Azrael
    Expand Collapse
    Destroyer of Worlds

sad sack of shit
    X. Auron. That is all.

Also because now apparently the Dark Id is doing an LP for it and I am a whore for his LPs.

12. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Which is the one with the swordgun?

13. Lyle

Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    turtle

If you look at the steady progression of each of the FF titles you can see the traditional RPG of 1 and it's progression into a hideous pile of gay shit which is 14. I'd say any title prior to squaresoft's merger with enix is acceptable. From then on it is for fans screaming "please shove dicks in all my orifices plz".

14. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    [​IMG]
    Is this what you're thinking of?

15. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Yes.

16. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

GBP Management Assistant
  17. Lyle

Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    turtle

Always wondered what those things look like without a hat or rule 34 for that matter. lol

18. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Step back children. This is the correct order:

FF VI > FF V > FF VII > FF X > FF IV

Now let me break down why the other ones didn't make the cut:

FF I - You may as well called this Dragon Quest (Warrior) 2. The only thing this game added was a party-based battle system.

FF II / III - I'm not talking about the US 2, that was actually IV. FF 2 I played on Gameboy Advance. 2 has this god awful level-up system based on your equipment, and on top of that they fucked up pretty bad in the character-progression department as battles become too difficult unless you wander around PLing your fucking ax. 3 I don't have an honest opinion on because I tried playing it on an emulator and quickly lost interest after the 100th glitch.

FF VIII - This shit was BORING. 4 cds of pure fucking snore. I made it to CD 3 before tossing it aside. The only memorable character was the academy teacher chick, because she was hot. Aside from that, this marks Square's first complete failure at over-producing something, which if my time-line is correct, was followed shortly after by that shitty box-office flop of a movie.

FF IX - It's a tossup between this and IV. What it boils down to is my complete disappointment in it, as it was advertised as the Final Fantasy that "returns to it's roots." No, it's a VII clone. That's not the fucking roots. It was certainly better than VIII however.

FF X-2 - I'm not a girl so I cannot appreciate this game for what it's worth.

FF XI - Fucking time sink piece of shit fuck this fucking shit. Anyone want to buy a level 75 paladin with subs? Give me my fucking year back. I hate this game with a passion.

FF XII - NO. Just NO. What the fuck. This is a single player FF XI. Where did the turn based battles go? That was a fucking TRADITION. The voice acting is absolutely horrid, and it's not because they have chappy euro accents, it's because the characters are dull as shit. It's like they're not even fucking trying anymore.

I haven't played 13, and I don't intend to play 14. SquareEnix has killed this franchise and I doubt it will ever recover.

20. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Also, Tactics is not a Final Fantasy game. It is closer to an Ogre Battle clone if anything. Mystic Quest was cute, but that's about as far as it goes. And fuck that god forsaken FF Gamecube game, it made me think I was playing Zelda.

21. Lyle

Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    turtle

I remembered playing Final Fantasy Legend on gameboy, I didn't like how you had x number of uses of your weapons and abilities before they were gone for good. Monsters in your party had to eat strange meat which would turn them into another monster, which could be way overpowered or totally gimp.

22. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    Actually, that was apart of their "Saga" series. It was renamed final fantasy legends when brought over to America for name recognition.

23. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    Alright. Now that you've said what you don't like, what do you like about the ones you selected?

24. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

With pleasure.

FF VI is hands down the greatest RPG ever made. In an era of 16-bit colors and BLAST PROCESSING, Square decided to go a different route, focusing on storyline and character development. By character development I don't mean leveling up, I mean creating scenarios which conjure real emotion for the player. This game could be made into an award winning TV series if Square wasn't so prickish about their franchise. To this day, I can name every character and verbally give a step-by-step walkthrough for the entire game. It's that good.

FF V gets props for introducing an advanced job system which they would later use in countless other games. Although it is lacking in the storyline department, it set the pace for party customization which later evolved into the Tactics series, and to a lesser extent Ogre Battle.

FF VII made RPGs mainstream, end of story. Before 7, role-playing games were a genre only appreciated by an underground cult fanbase anywhere outside of Japan. Point in case, Earthbound, an absolutely amazing game, completely flopped in sales. After 7, the whole world jumped on board. It was also the very first RPG I can recall that utilized 3D environments, plus it had a very good story and memorable characters.

FF X raised the bar for all RPG developers, introducing quality voice acting and what is in my opinion the best battle system to date. The story was very linear which took away from replay value, however there was more than enough endgame powerlevelling to keep you busy for months. Also, Lulu. <3

FF IV was a tossup for me, I chose this over IX for the simple fact that it had much less to work with (1st gen SNES vs PS1) and still managed to make an equally enjoyable game. It has numerous flaws, but it is a real gem and a landmark RPG title. Also, if anyone has the Wii Virtual Console, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND purchasing the FF IV Expansion game. It comes in multiple chapters that you have to buy individually, but it is truely amazing and very nostalgic. Plus they bring back Polum and Porum as selectable endgame characters, and holy shit can they tear it up.

25. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Nigga you serious? well maybe the hero cast is regular except Cid because he cool; the villain cast is a piece of shit, Sephiroth is one of the worst villain in the story of games.

26. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Srs. Cid is more of a recurring character than anything else, he's appeared in almost every game playing a similar role, so I wouldn't count him.

Yeah, Sephiroth was gay, but so was Kefka in FFVI, it just served to make him more hate-able. I think when the bad guy is too cool it takes away from the focus on bringing him down.

Tifa and Aerith. I don't think any video game character has been Rule 34ed more than they have. That says a lot about their notoriety, regardless of how perverse an example that may be.

27. minty

minty
    Expand Collapse
    toymaker

girls that are fans of the series cannot appreciate this game for what it's worth.

28. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Thank god. Honestly I never gave it a chance. Bought it, had the players guide, played for about a half hour and threw my hands in the air

[​IMG]

29. minty

minty
    Expand Collapse
    toymaker

the characters are fucking dress up dolls, and the dresses decide the powers the player can use...
    and they're all far more scantily clad than in other games... it's mindless fap fodder

30. Lyle

Lyle
    Expand Collapse
    turtle

I liked it, it was ok like X. The only thing about it that pissed me off was that fucking math game you had to beat in order to get a special class/costume. I could never do it...

Fucking math, typical azn bullshit.