Background check measure compromise fails, 6 votes short

Discussion in 'News' started by n1bblir, Apr 17, 2013.

1. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

[​IMG]

Source: http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/...und-check-compromise-falls-6-votes-short?lite

2. Slenderman

Slenderman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Being confused with trees.
    Home Page:
    It would have never worked anyways. Lanza got his damn gun from his mom.

3. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    Laws only effect the people that keep them. I do think it would be a good idea to have some kind of law that guns must be kept in a safe, gunlock, etc... as this would likely cut down on the majority of shooting deaths: which are kids getting into their parent's gun collections and doing something stupid.
    AFIAK, I am not even supposed to touch a firearm for another 4 years, yet I currently own two.

4. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

What did you do? Is this something that I want to/should know?

5. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    This ^^^

50% of US shooting deaths are on Chicago's south side, so they don't count.

Most of the rest are handgun related, so banning assault weapons is just moar political bullshit.

6. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    5150. It was found to be without merit, but AFAIK the prohibition on possessing firearms is still on my record.

7. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

8. BizarrePsycho

BizarrePsycho
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Livin' in a Gangsta's Paradise
    Well, I tried looking at the death statics for firearms. Found out that both sides are either lying or don't have any idea and claim it a statistic that helps their cause. (Surprise! Surprise!) Eventually settled on these found on the CDC's website.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/injury.htm

So, If more people are dying every year from poisoning and car accidents than shooting, why the fuck are we trying to cut down on something that really isn't a problem?

9. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    [​IMG]

On a more serious not, glad to see the CDC is only three years behind with it's reports now.

10. Slenderman

Slenderman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Being confused with trees.
    Home Page:
    Because white people are getting killed now.

11. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Geez that Gabby Giffords sound like a sore loser.

12. Fraud Based Economy

Fraud Based Economy
    Expand Collapse
    Disinherited Nigerian Prince

Politicians only like democracy when it agrees with them. Sorry toots, the consensus went against you. Better luck next time.

13. Weezus Christ

Weezus Christ
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Savior

breakfast mummy
    Home Page:
    America is a republic. Why do people always say its a democracy?

maybe im wrong, i did drop out of highschool at my first opportunity, but the pledge of allegiance even says "to the republic, for which it stands"

14. Solution

Solution
    Expand Collapse
    Everyone is boring

Home Page:

Obama-Boston-bombing.

15. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    America is a Corpofacist state, and as far as I can tell, it always has been.

Edit: People keep citing these "polls" but I have yet to see one with a sample size over 2000 people. Trying to extrapolate from less than .001% of the population is ludicrous.

16. Fraud Based Economy

Fraud Based Economy
    Expand Collapse

It's a republican democracy. People elect politicians, the politicians make decisions on behalf of the majority of their respective constituencies. The politicians that they elect come to a consensus on bills by democratically voting on matters. This is not a hard concept.

17. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    Except what actually happens is corp money elects politicians, the politicians make decisions on behalf of the money. They politicians it elects spend more time running for re-election and going on corp sponsored vacations than anything else.

18. Fraud Based Economy

Fraud Based Economy
    Expand Collapse

I was stating how it works in theory, not how it works in practice.

19. n1bblir

n1bblir
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I suppose this will always stay the same unless they take measures to ban all forms of lobbying or corporations from donating funds to various politicians or political causes considering almost more than 90% of people support universal background checks.

The only defense they have is 'that most criminals don't obey the law so what's the point of having one?' If that's their attitude why have any laws then? I really hope that the people behind that Boston bombing are some NRA nutcases, though I wouldn't be surprised by that either.

20. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    Well, the statistics say gunlocks and safe's don't do jack shit to stave off child gun deaths. Not that child gun deaths or other accidental firearm deaths are that statistically significant. It's not even in the top 10 killers of children. It's just a popular media point.

Education is really the only way to prevent kids from fucking around with guns. I was intensely afraid of powertools as a kid because they were loud and I saw my dad working with a table-saw which demolished a wood-plank. Knowing how solid trees are, I didn't want to be around anything that could eviscerate a plank. My dad was happy his 4 year old son wanted nothing to do with power tools and let me happily smack shit with a toy hammer until I got a little older.

I plan to replicate the experience when I have kids by taking my kid's favorite toy and blasting it to smithereens with a handgun. After this I will calmly explain to him that guns absolutely destroy everything they're pointed at. The little shit will never go near them until he's ready. Same principle of letting them sip your beer. It doesn't taste good and will steer them clear of it for a while.

21. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    Theory is useless unless it is applied.
    This poll was done with a sample size of ~1,400. That is like paralyzing your the tip of your pinky, and then going around telling people you are paraplegic.
    You will make a shitty parent. My sister is an alcoholic because of the "beer sip" style of parenting. Destroying their toys in front of them is more likely to make your kids hate you than anything else.
    When are Americans going to realize negative re-enforcement doesn't work, and never has?

In addition, accidental discharge (oh how I love that phrase) is the leading cause of death from firearms.
    http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr61/nvsr61_07.pdf
    Even above niggers shooting each other.
    I believe that keeping one's guns in a secure location would cut down on these deaths.

22. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Wut.

23. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    In reality, people do not respond exactly like Pavlov's dogs. There are, however, numerous real-world applications for classical conditioning. For example, many dog trainers use classical conditioning techniques to help people train their pets.

Have fun with your pet kids.

24. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    It's still funny.

25. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    Agreed. It just won't have the effect he predicts.

26. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Nothing I've seen demonstrates that. I'm comfortable with power-tools now. They just took on a different identity than toys as I grew up. Guns are treated as toys, like plastic hammers and other things sold to kids. You want to show kids the consequences of discharging firearms is different than playing Doom? You show them with something they have some investment with. It doesn't have to be a toy. It just has to be something they see as invincible or irreplaceable. It's just that if you're shooting, chances are the favorite toy is the most easily replaceable and destroyable object you can find.

Tools vs. toys is an important human concept. People who take tools lightly, be they 3 or 63 and be they power drills or FN SCARs take their lives in their hands. All I wish to communicate is the seriousness of a tool. There's no way to reason with a young child.

27. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    You are perfectly free to develop the monster of your choosing.

28. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm sensing some deep personal butthurt on this topic. Did a close paternal figure fire his cannon on one of butthex your sacred personal belongings cornholio as a child?

29. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    [​IMG]

30. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    This, goddamnit. I don't know how many idiots have been regurgitating the same "THIS ISN'T HOW DEMOCRACY WORKS" slogan, but it's been driving me fucking nuts.

IT'S A REPUBLIC, YOU IGNORANT COCKSUCKERS. CRACK OPEN A GODDAMN BOOK.

And as far as the gun bill goes, I would love to see how much gin Senator Feinstein chugs down after her pet project was effectively neutered. I REALLY liked how those shitheads were quick to blame the NRA for "scaring people" into voting against gun control...as if anyone listens to the NRA.

Honestly, Colt and FN practically own the Senate. These companies fervently supply the majority of battle rifles to the United States military and some to private owners. You think these two mega corporations are going to let some bill get in the way of their income? Hell no, negro. "Say, you guys thinking about voting against people buying our rifles? Oh really? Wouldn't it be a shame if the prices we've been giving you for X years...suddenly sky rocketed? Yeah, that's what we thought. Now roll over and beg for your treat."