Artists you don't like

Discussion in 'Music, Movies & Media' started by Meepsheep, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Meepsheep

Meepsheep
    Expand Collapse
    THEY DON'T PAINT PICTURES, THEY JUST TRACE ME

anime fan
    Home Page:
    Since the last thread has gone to hell, I'm starting a discussion of artists you generally don't link and can whine here about why everyone else does.

I will delete any kid shit (Bieber, Gaga, Nickelback, Van Halen, etc), please leave your seven year old sister's music interests out of this.

2. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    i think Ernest Hemingway is shit.
    his protagonists are dull.
    and each one of them falls in love with some bitch at first sight for literally no reason,and from that point on every conversation they have consists of:
    "i love you,do you love me ?"
    "i do,i love you the most"
    "no i love you the most"
    "will you ever stop loving me ?"
    "never,i love you"
    "no i love you"
    and this gos on for 3-6 pages at a time.

3. TwoStar

TwoStar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Doing nothing all day
    Home Page:
    Wait, you're not thinking of the same guy who wrote Old Man and the Sea, right?

4. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    yes,that him.

that his only book that not as long as a "lord of the ring" marathon but it's the only one that's twice as boring !
    if he wasn't dead i'd tell him to shove his Nobel/Pulitzer up his ass.

5. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I loathe Coldplay, not sure if it borders on kids music, and Oasis.

6. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I don't mind Hemmingway, I started to get bored with the predictability of him or his ho dying at the end.

7. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I've been reading a Farewell to Arms and his structure in that is tight. Ice berg method for life, but around Islands in the Stream I'm like nigga yo dick broke.

8. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Hemingway worte some good shit, anyone who says A Farewell to Arms or The Sun Also Rises is shit can go fuck themselves. That being said, not all his stuff is great, his nonfiction stuff can be quite overextended and boring (The Green Hills of Africa).

Anyway, I don't like The Doors. Yeah, they had some good songs (Break on Through, Hello I Love You, basically the lean hard-rock stuff), but really they are nowhere near as good as they're cracked up to be. The organ annoys the hell out of me and is simply unfitting in some songs (20th Centuy Fox), and they basically just did whatever was cool at the time (e.g. The Soft Parade was really just an attempt to sound like Love on Forever Changes).

Later, they became even worse, almost completely forgoing the lean, hard sound to be found on earlier albums for unispired blues-rock stomps (think L.A. Woman), although Riders on the Storm was promising.

And boy, were they pretentious. Why Jim Morrison is revered by some people as "The American Poet" or some mystical shaman or whatever is beyond me. His lyrics are phony as hell, you can tell he tried to sound "deep", but they really tend to be gibberish. He's much better when he sings about wanting to bone some chick, because at least that sounds genuine. And Krieger was a douche as well.

But what really pisses me off the most is that they have become, along with Led Zeppelin, who really did nothing to deserve being lumped in with The Doors, the band of choice for college kids who have just moved out from home, bought a "vintage" record player and now think they're the intellectual elite and their lives are suddenly meaningful as hell. So basically it's music from douchebags for douchebags.

9. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    I find both universally acclaimed The Neverending Story and Confederacy of Dunces to be boring as fuck

10. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The Neverending Story is lame as hell. Michael Ende did write some other, better stuff, though it's mostly aimed at older children/teens.

11. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I remember saying this to my girlfriend and nearly ending my relationship:trollface:. When she was in university this was basically her.

12. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I think we all know someone like that. Most of them drift towards "adult-oriented" radio po(o)p after 1-2 years. But hey, they might, by chance, have aquired some actual good records, which they then sell cheaply, which in turn benefits me. So it's not all bad.

13. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I know a couple of djs that that happened to. One of them he had all these shit records and fantastic equipment and then his grandfather died and left him all of these funk and soul albums. He immeditely rang the nearest pub and they booked him in.
    Also isn't most pop these days about getting smashed in the arse? I haven't head a song when I'm not listening to talk back that isn't about fucking everything with a pulse.

14. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I listen to the Black Keys and Florence and the Machine with a little bit of ArnoCorp thrown in. I used to be HEAPS in to reggae and stuff like that and stopped listening when every ska song post 1980 was about skateboarding and the singer's dad stopping him from chroming.

15. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
    i hate LOTR.

it's over a thousand pages of descriptions of midgets walking.
    all the time...
    where were they walking,how fast,what direction,uphill or downhill,in what order,how was the weather,cold ? hot ? humid? what did they eat,what did they drink,was what they ate good,were they still hungry,thirsty ? what did they carry ? was it heavy/light/medium,big or small ? who carried the most stuff,who carried the least,how hard was it for him,was it bright out or dark.what time of day was it ? what did they see ? what color was the rode,trees,leaves,sky,bushes,flowers,grass,and animals.was the walking making then tired ? who was the most tired ? how long were they walking,who much longer were they going to walk ? when and where will they stop,what will they sleep on when they do ? what will they eat/drink/smoke ? did the walking hurt their feet ? whos feet hurt the most ? what were they wearing,what weapons were they carrying ? where their weapons/clothes/shoes comfortable ? warm ? season appropriate ?

and then to add to the dullness he would give out additional trivial information that no one cares about or needs to know.
    like the names of nearby places they will never go to,and the historical events that happened there and have no baring on the plot whatsoever.

if you were to cut all that stupid bullshit padding out you could read the entire trilogy in the course of a single afternoon.
    but that still wouldn't make it anymore interesting.

16. Fumo161

Fumo161
    Expand Collapse
    Faggot

Damn that's a lot of questions!

17. CONTCOM

CONTCOM
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

This is the only thing that made my day better, thank you odd guy, you always deliver.

18. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I absolutely can't stand Star Wars, I regret watching every fucking episode.

Gun's & Roses and RHCP suck

19. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

They do and they don't. Overall, yes. But Appetite for Destruction is a great hard-rock album, and the Peppers were a badass funk-rock outfit before Rick Rubin pussified their sound. Uplift Mofo Party Plan is trippy as fuck.

20. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

I'm a huge John Frusciante fan tough.

21. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

You mean his solo stuff? Never really listened to any of it, is it any similar to the peppers' sound?

22. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

No, it's really experimental and deep, not the easiest stuff; but most definitely worth it.

23. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Frank Miller.

And I don't know what is worse: His ego or his whiteknight fans.

24. Promethax

Promethax
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Well, I guess I'll have to do this in categories.

Music: I don't know what's worse, the talentless hipster garbage that is electronic music, or the pretentious hipster garbage that is Florence and the Machine.

Painting: Any kind of "abstract" or "modern" "art". Shut the hell up: random and meaningless shapes and colors is NOT art, you pretentious hipster scrubs.

Writing: I've had the unfortunate experience of having to read some of the Warrior Cats series. I don't know how to put this more politely, but ALL THE CATS ARE THE SAME SHALLOW CARDBOARD CUTOUTS OF UNLOLZY CATS!!

Film: The guys who thought August Rush was a good idea... *shutter*

Did I cover enough topics?

25. darren

darren
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Does that mean all electronic music?