art sites that aren't shit

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by faggotmaximum, Jan 4, 2012.

1. faggotmaximum

faggotmaximum
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

rape
    because it seems like deviant is only good at being unspeakably terrible

conceptart - goes without saying

cghub - art site with a focus on digital 3d work. many a professional artist, i've found it to be rather inspirational .

pixeljoint - pixelart specific website, nowhere near the same tier as the previous two but there are impressive pieces here. And the community encourages improvement and critique.

2. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

thing is, you have to have a bit of skill and experience before you move up to one of those sites, most people don't have that kind of skill, I'm working on it, but I doubt that I'll get good anytime soon

3. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Didn't we already have this thread, and didn't it die off because the info in the OP is basically all that could be said on the subject

4. bobmalarky

bobmalarky
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sheezyart is the TRUE deviantart alternative man!

5. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I got told that ConceptART got reduced to rejected deviantART users and people who only say "that's nice" and that you know rarelly get help.

CGHub is a paysite if I'm not wrong, also when the Azurelle drama came out they tried to cover up everything because she was one of the featured artist and that left me a bad impression of them.

For those who don't know about Azurelle: Her drama wasn't about tracing, but she plainly just copypasted parts of other paintings from a lot of artist (even old ones, like Gil Elvgren) and airbrushed over them. Sometimes it was painfully obvious because the brush strokes where exactly the same.

6. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Oh yeah, I'm on both CG Hub and CA but I haven't been to both in years. A few artist I know are on both but yeah, CGHub focuses a lot on 3D art and that's not my thing.

ConceptArt isn't bad, but yes you rarely get help if you're not known there, so it kinda sucks. I got a few replies on a WIP of mine but nothing constant. I might try again, but yes in those places you need to have a bit of skill in order to get a response, that or be open to a lot of critique and hard work.

Yes I remember Azurelle. The photo that got her 'noticed' made me squint a bit, because I noticed something was off, but I didn't think anything about it. Funny enough a few hours later I got a journal notice about her stealing and an info dump about it. o_o; It was crazy because I used to follow her and I thought 'oh hey, that's pretty neat since she did it all by hand' but I grew bored with it because they all had sameface and sameclothes etc. Funny how some of her pieces looked better than others.

7. TheDukeOfCrowns

TheDukeOfCrowns
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Conceptart is incredibly good at hiding their bad-artists, and the site is straight to the point no families allowed atmosphere.

www.worth1000.com

8. Thayora

Thayora
    Expand Collapse
    Moeologist

Home Page:
    I only have a Pixel joint account and they have a fantastic community. ConceptArt users are just getting lazier.

9. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Did you mean to say CGHub?

10. faggotmaximum

faggotmaximum
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

rape
    to be fair i've only ever lurked a bit on conceptart (and cghub) so i don't know that much about the place. I've mainly been in the critique section which doesn't get any of that, but that's to be expected, it's the critique section. But yes, it doesn't see that many posts.

From what I've seen of the finished section there are lots of "that's nice" type comments, which is a bore.
    it's free to browse, and there's plenty of good artwork. As a community i have no idea
    that's a great way to shatter a reputation

11. Hadra

Hadra
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

ConceptArt, most of the action seems to happen in the Lounge... and it doesn't seem to be as active as it once was. Even the girls only board is hardly used. The other bigger part is the weekly contests, but even they only seem to get a handful of people anymore.

12. TickTock

TickTock
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I posted an environment concept on the CA forums awhile ago, and I had about 3 good critiques from it, one artist even redlined it. Are you guys actually posting in the critique forum? I don't think sketchbooks get a whole lot of attention when it comes to critique. Unless I just got lucky that time, I'm not a regular poster there.

13. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Yes I was in the critique area on CA but it was years ago so I have no clue how it is now.

14. Hadra

Hadra
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I've been poking around recently again but I haven't posted any art. I totally can't seem to draw anything right now. so couldn't give you experience. just anecdotal evidence.

15. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pixiv used to be good until some DA fags decided to migrate to there, now we are very likely to find shit even with the filter turned on.

16. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    Ever heard of a museum?

17. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

No, it was already bad before then, pedophiles and fetishfags everywhere
    That's WHY the DA fags decided it'd be cool to go there

18. Lord Raptor

Lord Raptor
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Unlike DA though, you can ignore them by using the mature filter. You would be spared of 99% of the shit that you are forced to stumble into when you are using DA's search function or looking at the front page.

The only thing that I had of cons on that site before the DA faggotry migration was that they don't have a function to that let you comment in other people's pics.

19. TheForRealDeal

TheForRealDeal
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Technically you can "mature filter" DA's shit too, it's just extremely hamfisted and many actual good pieces are "mature"
    They need a better system
    I don't want to have to add "-fetish -lolicon -whateverthefuck" to every search

That's a tradeoff, really
    You lose the ability to directly and publicly critique, but it also removes the VAST chance of some sort of asspatting echo chamber to evolve into the beast that is DA's comment boxes

(Plus you're not Japanese so they wouldn't actually care to hear what you say)

20. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

I know some guys who joined that place just for the drawing chat. I asked them why they didn't just use an english service like iscribble or something and they all either said that iscribble wouldn't accept their email addresses or that it wasn't japanese enough

of course I ended up joining too just to join in the chats, bloody peer pressure

21. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I'd like to join Pixiv but my Japanese isn't that good when reading websites and rules and whatever, especially for chats. o_o

22. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

If you'd like some hardmashed critique unabridged, this is the place to post: http://www.satellitesoda.com

If you don't want it that rude and vicious, then you may want to join this more polite board. It does not mean they will asspat you though. http://www.theillustrationboard.com/

>Here is a great thread on there of a young man in art school with major improvement in just one year from the critiqued he followed from older board members: http://www.theillustrationboard.com/index.php?/topic/84-chase-likes-to-post-work-a-lot/

I like CG Hub, but their forums suck. Slow interaction, slow community. Better to just surf individual profiles.

The forums of a similarly titled website here, CG Society, not sure if affilated with CGHub, have damn awesome forums, and frequent intensely competitve art contests, and if you win enough of them, could lead to a job, or scholarship: http://forums.cgsociety.org/
    With closer relationships to the major entertainment industry than ConceptArt.

23. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I subscribe to CGSociety and I get their newsletters weekly. I'd like to go back there but I keep getting them and CGHub mixed up, I can't remember if they're affiliated or not.

Thanks for the new sites, I'll check them out. =)

24. Blah2125

Blah2125
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

I doubt that I would go there, I only do concept sketches

25. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

26. xy0xy1

xy0xy1
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

kissin where it smells funny
    Home Page:
    fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuu

haha iscribble

drawing dicks on anime chicks is fun

27. Galaxies

Galaxies
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

CA.org used to be good, but there was some major drama about two years ago and people migrated to CGHub. Turned out Jason Manley was reading people's PMs, lied about teachers on TAD (said it would be Massive Black artists when they were never signed to teach), threatened to close forums if people didn't buy downloads/donate etc. Hence why some major CA artists are no longer in the banner - Marko, Coro, Wes, Whit, all gone. You have to be a comment whore to draw attention to your sketchbook and even then, people don't pay attention unless you draw in a CA-popular style (usually Marko/Wes ripoff). I'd be wary of it since all moderators can read your private messages.

As for CGHub, it's free although very quiet community-wise. They were silent about Azurelle because she was a moderator, but she got de-modded and doesn't visit the website anymore. Now she's busy "teaching" people in imagineFX and through Ballistic books, which made me lose respect for both companies. They KNOW she's a fraud and don't give a fuck, even though one of the concept books got bad reviews because of her.

That said, http://www.shadowness.com isn't too shabby.

28. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

guy said iScribble wouldn't accept his email, and that's why he used Pixiv

29. Norton Zinder

Norton Zinder
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Trust Fund Baby
    lmao I knew Manley was a piece of shit but goddamn.

30. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I've been following IFX since 2007 and I can't remember seeing her help for quite some time. She's also part of this DA group I'm a part of and help to mod, though it's been a while since I've modded and she seems fine. Did she trace or something?