Art Resources

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by FlamingTofuSquare, Jan 30, 2014.

1. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

2. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Here's something on color choice.

3. Lafinman

Lafinman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Human Resources at Wilkins Instant Anti-Rap Squad
    Home Page:
    John Cleese on Creativity.

/co/ has been posting this in " Show your Webcomic " threads they've been having and I remember seeing this some time ago. He really lays down some good techniques such as shifting your brain from Open to Close mode when working on something, and learning how ot do that ( or what I use to call Left and Right side of the brain, lol )

I thought of @slimelurker when I watched this again, being how slime's doodle in the plug-and-laff thread looked better and the other pic which suffered from what I call " Try-Hard-Syndrome " or THS for short.

In John's theory when we're in the Closed-Mode of thinking we tend to burn ourselves out and try too hard to make everything perfect. It's believed that better results and productivity can occur if we start in the Open-Mode. Most of my procrastination comes from starting everything in the Closed-Mode, which leads me to think " don't make a mistake, make it perfect." It hammers my productivity and in the end I doubt everything I do because I'm not clearing my head and using the Open Mode to get started.

Good practice is to trust yourself ( confidence ) and rely on your imagination to guide you. When you think you got something, THEN you switch to the Closed-Mode to clean it up and find mistakes. It's hard work, but I do this for everything from writing, drawing, inking, to coloring.

For example right now I'm actually working on final character designs, I spent about 20 minutes just throwing down the shapes and action lines of the characters along with ballpark proportions. All done in Open Mode and not taken too seriously.

However when it comes to finishing them up I'll switch to Closed Mode and make sure things are where and how they should be. But I'll also switch back to Open Mode if something isn't feeling right ( confidence ). It's a process I want to get down before I get into making a comic of it. Because in the past every time I started a comic I did so in the Closed Mode and I become a worry-wart. Eventually it never got finished, not because of laziness, but because being 100% in the Closed Mode made everything look worse.

The same thing goes for the writing. I'll start in Open Mode and get an idea, then switch to Closed Mode to flesh it out so it makes sense. I switch between the two a lot early on because most of the time my Open ideas will be okay, but Closed Mode will catch things that either make it too complex or don't completely work.

John also mentions how menial tasks always pull us away from doing harder ones. I found this to be true with myself as well. I could sketch for hours on end, but that's because it's sketching, it isn't a comic-- so right off the bat I got the Open Mode mentality. When it comes to making a comic I could work on 1 page for hours on end and it will never be as good as my sketches from the previous day. That's because I'd start in the Closed Mode.

It's almost as if we're programmed to self-destruct. In essence the key to being creative and getting things done is to have confidence in yourself and relax. We're going to make mistakes no matter what, but I'd rather have people catch mistakes in something I had fun doing than in something that took too long and fried my brain.

Take for instance the Pirate girl I did in the Plug Yourself Thread, it was a doodle, but after I explained why I did the things I did and reworked it-- it felt good. Mostly because it was just a doodle, not something I labored for hours on. And thankfully I got more info on what to look for in the future when I go into Closed Mode. Thing is, I want all my stuff to be done in Open Mode, because going all Closed Mode is exhausting.

This also probably explains why Dobby gets so butthurt when people criticize him. Everything he does in Closed Mode and with his knowledge being limited it hurts him more than being in the Open Mode. So when he sees nasty comments he's mostly reacting to how much work he put into it. And we've seen instances where he just slopes shit together that actually looks better then when he Tries Hard.

so TL;DR

Learn to relax, be playful, have confidence, switch from Open and Close, and overall learn when to walk away when you feel your brain is starting to fry.

4. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Cross-posting from LOLTP thread.

Some inspirational advice from Justin Oaksford, a concept artist at 343 Industries and a Character Design teacher at Digipen:

http://justinoaksford.tumblr.com/post/54115612787/make-yourself-as-perfect-as-you-may-be

Not exactly a resource (need to go look through my bookmarks once more), but it's nice to know what an actual professional with experience thinks and preaches. Basically appeal to authority done right.

5. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

6. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

7. Lafinman

Lafinman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Home Page:
    I've been looking for that link, was it on /ic/ this whole time? ( would have sworn I checked there )

Some of my suggested favs is everything in the Cartoon, Comics, and Animation folder and in Naturescenery folder the Jack Hamm book ( that's the one I wanted ) Both that and his Cartooning book are fun to work with and use for reference.

8. Lafinman

Lafinman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Home Page:
  9. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

10. FlamingTofuSquare

FlamingTofuSquare
    Expand Collapse
    Dramatis Personæ

retired werebelushiologist
  11. Lafinman

Lafinman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Home Page:
    Chris Sander's Lilo & Stitch notes.

tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo1_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo2_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo3_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo4_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo5_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo6_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo7_1280. tumblr_n3niaushJ21sthvcmo8_1280.

Apparently the 2nd image about Shape I've been doing wrong this whole time. I would use simple shapes for action, then fuck it up thinking I need more detail about where limbs are connected and so forth. Fun li'l image set to go through.

12. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

13. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

More armor and weapon references;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If someone knows what book this is from and has pdf for it, that'll be great.

14. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

A collection of how-to-draw books by a Russian uploader: http://vk.com/topic-4918594_27696136?offset=60

The quality is all over the place, a lot of stuff is How To Manga shizz, but there's also some decent books and some interesting foreign ones too.

15. Suika

Suika
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Would it present any problems if I primarily used a tablet to learn how to draw?

16. FuanasEdan

FuanasEdan
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Middle of something
    Not a problem, you need to use custom brushes though on some parts if you wanted it to look like hand drawn; graphite, charcoal, etc

17. Suika

Suika
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I went and bought a moderately priced sketchbook and a pencil anyway.

Oh well, time to go outside and draw some stuff. That's what's best when you are a total beginner, right?

18. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

BRINGING THIS DEAD THREAD BACK TO LIFE

[​IMG]

I couldn't find any really good stuff in my bookmarks, but here's a neat Photoshop animation tutorial I dug up.

19. Watership

Watership
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Does anybody have anything on writing natural sounding dialogue?

20. hammy

hammy
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

@Watershipdowns what about it? do you find that they all sound the same? is it too long, too choppy? can you trim it down without losing meaning? is it out of place in your setting?
    (sorry for the questions, i find asking questions helps me pinpoint what's wrong with my writing in general, maybe it can help)

also! krita! free program! kcickstarter | download
    it's basically photoshop that's geared specifically for artists
    it's not rly off topic cause people might find it useful if they cant afford photoshop or whatever

21. Mortal Sword

Mortal Sword
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm way late getting back to this thread, buuuuut this is Graham Turner's work for Osprey's military history books.

http://www.ospreypublishing.com/authors/profile.aspx?ID=3175

I'm going to guess probably the one about the Condottieri, also the 3 about the English Medieval Knight, but I can't say for sure. It's definitely not his work for the German Medieval Armies book.

22. Mortal Sword

Mortal Sword
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

23. Mortal Sword

Mortal Sword
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

24. ClapYourClam

ClapYourClam
    Expand Collapse
    Oh shit, waddup

awesome, thank you.

25. Watership

Watership
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Hey, does anybody have anything that'll help a person scan traditional art?

26. Abbon

Abbon
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

A scanner?

27. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

28. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    You need to update your op OP.

29. FlamingTofuSquare

FlamingTofuSquare
    Expand Collapse
    Dramatis Personæ

retired werebelushiologist

Update what? That's was my starting contribution. It's not an index for the thread and was never intended to be one. The fucker is only 3 pages long anyway, it doesn't need an index.

30. theprestoncritic

theprestoncritic
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite