Are women more important economically than men?

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Dr. Rice, Jul 26, 2011.

1. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    The Chinese proverb that ‘women hold up half the sky’ has long been more aspiration than fact. In developed and developing countries alike, gender gaps persist in education, health, work, wages and political participation.

Education is the key to gender equality. Educating women leads to many benefits. It results in higher wages; a greater likelihood of working outside the home; lower fertility; reduced maternal and child mortality; and better health and education. The impact is felt not only in women’s lifetimes, but also in the health, education and productivity of future generations.

On a individual level
    • Higher wages and better jobs. Women’s wages increase with schooling, in many cases faster than men’s. Although education cannot explain all of the wage gaps with men, the returns from an extra year of schooling are proportionately higher for women than for men, particularly at the secondary level. Studies conducted around the world find the rate of return for each additional year of schooling to be roughly 10%. That is a global average; in developing countries with lower starting levels of human capital, returns tend to be higher. Education also increases the likelihood that women will have white-collar and public-sector jobs, and helps them to move away from domestic or informal-sector employment.
    • Lower fertility. Educated women have fewer children: for every two to three years of education, a woman is likely to have one less child. Women with a secondary or higher education also tend to delay marriage and to have more control over the spacing of children, which leads to better health for both the mother and child. In contrast, male schooling has an insignificant or even positive effect on fertility
    • Lower mortality. Maternal mortality, which is a significant cause of death in young women, declines because educated women are far more likely to receive antenatal and postnatal care, and to have the help of skilled attendants as they give birth. The World Bank estimates that an additional year of schooling for 1000 women helps prevent two maternal deaths. Infant and child mortality is lower in countries where mothers have some primary schooling, and much lower where they have secondary schooling. The positive impact of maternal education is twice as large as that for paternal education.
    • Better health. Education allows mothers to make better medical decisions and better use of medical services for both themselves and their children. In fact, female education may play a larger role in malnutrition than even food availability. Families of educated women are found to have better nutrition and diets, safer sanitation practices and a higher chance of being immunized. Girls’ education is also linked to a lower rate of HIV/AIDS infection.
    • Entrepreneurial success. Global studies of entrepreneurship show that higher education improves the chances that a female-run entrepreneurial business will make the transition from start-up to established business. Education also increases the productivity of self-employed workers.
    • Intergenerational benefits. Across both developed and developing countries, studies consistently show that women allocate more resources to food and to children’s health and education than do men. Mothers with education are more likely to educate their own children, and these children are likely to study more. These ‘intergenerational benefits’ can be among the most powerful results of female education, as the impact compounds through subsequent generations
    Combined with macroeconomic effects...

• More working women. The more education a woman has, the more likely she is to work. This makes sense, since education increases the opportunity cost of not working. Vocational and tertiary degrees seem to have the greatest impact on women’s inclination to work; at this level, women’s labor-force participation rates are on a par with men’s, especially in cities.
    • Stronger human capital and higher productivity. Educating girls raises the overall quality of the students and ultimately that of the aggregate workforce. Better health also improves the quality of human capital.
    • Higher returns to investment. Returns to investment are generally higher in countries with higher levels of human capital. Moreover, the combination of female education and pervasive wage discrimination can create a pool of well-skilled but inexpensive female labor. In itself, this may lead to more investment in industries dominated by female labor. Higher returns to industries that fed on female-intensive light manufacturing played a role in the rapid growth rates seen in Southeast Asia
    • More productive agriculture. Educated women make better farmers, achieving higher yields, presumably because they are more open to the spread of new technology and techniques. This makes girls’ education in rural areas especially important in regions like South Asia, where agriculture absorbs more than 60% of the workforce but makes up less than 20% of the economy.
    • The ‘demographic transition’, which is the impact of declining fertility played out in the society at large. Declines in mortality and fertility allow the working-age share of the population (aged 15-64) to grow more quickly than the overall population. This tends to increase savings and per capita income. The demographic window eventually closes as this large working age population retires, making this a one-time gain – but a powerful one that plays out over several decades. It was a key driver of growth in East Asia after 1960, where studies attribute about one-quarter of the ‘miracle growth’, and one-third of the increase in per capita income, to the demographic transition. The demographic dividend has mattered in industrialized countries as well, for instance by contributing about 0.67ppt to annual growth in the US during the peak years of 1985-1990.
    ...Have a major impact on economic growth.

• A one percentage point increase in female education raises the average levelof GDP by 0.37ppt and raises annual GDP growth rates by 0.2ppt on average.
    • At the high end of estimates, the direct and indirect effects of gender inequality in education may have reduced potential annual per capita income growth by 0.5-0.9ppt in much of South Asia, sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and North Africa. In Africa, this means that actual per capita income growth was only half its potential level. Other studies put the overall impact at 0.3ppt of annual growth in South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
    • Countries that are farthest from meeting the Millennium Development Goals on gender equality in primary and secondary education could, if they had made better progress, have raised their average annual growth rates by 0.1-0.3ppt between 1995-2005, and continued progress would increase growth by 0.4ppt annually from 2005-2015.
    • The economic impact of the ‘demographic transition’ can be significant. Some studies estimate that it contributed as much as 1.4-1.9ppt of annual growth in GDP per capita in East Asia, and 1.1-1.8ppt in Southeast Asia, from 1965-1990.
    In conclusion, women are giving you boys a run for your money and jobs because you are all misogynistic idiotfaces who feel insecure around competent women.

2. Emily

Emily
    Expand Collapse
    BANNED LOL

3. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

4. Doakes

Doakes
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Posting sexist toys from the 1960's doesn't mean she's wrong. I do agree, any workforce is bettered if women are allowed to do as they want as well as men. It's not just civil rights, it's economics.

5. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    The market has spoken and it has said that women have a beneficial edge to economics than men do not provide. Obviously since you realize this, you are the kind of person who won't be replaced by a woman for "efficiency." I cannot say the same about the rest of you however.

6. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I think you boys are scared of us girls. Prove me wrong.

7. SPQR

SPQR
    Expand Collapse
    8===D

You must be from europe

8. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Um God made men more important and no one gives a shit about economics so yeah.

9. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I am from Gaza.

Says who? My book says that men and women are equal in the eyes of God.

10. Doakes

Doakes
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

A real Christian doesn't curse!

11. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    ChristianWarrior94 is clearly a pretender and false shepherd. Beware of false idols.

12. Rock

Rock
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Pretty boy swag'n
    Home Page:
    You're gay

13. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    So make me a sandwich felafel.

wird

14. Love You Too

Love You Too
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Sucking D
    That post was all very interesting, Dr. Rice, but I don't entirely understand the point of it. Do you want us to debate it or something?

15. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    The life of a man is practically worthless. To paraphrase, "One hundred women can be impregnated by one man."

16. Ahseyo

Ahseyo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

DJ, Music Producer, Synth Programmer
    Doesn't the Bible say that God made human as a image of himself?
    Prove me wrong if I'm right.

17. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Well you should close your book and read the bible.

Says who?

Um no, people who try to fit the bible to fit modern day prick standards are the false shepherds retard.

It actually says God made man in his own image retard.
    So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. GEN:127 NIV

18. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

Tl;dr biased copypasta says that the future is a dystopian world where women keep men as slaves for their amusement and one day one of the fem police (played by Christian Bale) stops taking their femotion supressant pills and gets a dog, but his negro partner decides to be a little bitch and go tell ONE OF THE MANY BUSINESSWOMEN IN THE FUTURE that Bale is fucking his dog and they both get put down.

19. LIL LOC ANIMOSITY

LIL LOC ANIMOSITY
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

ANYTHING FOR YOU WHORES TO FEEL IMPORTANT, I GUESS.

20. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Yes, but it never said in his physical image. We can be made in God's image in other ways. In the forward of St. Augustine's City of God, where he says to be found in every creature, namely essence (Father), knowledge (Son), and love (Holy Spirit). The City of God, Book X, ch. 27, Part II, pp. 21

21. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

I never what kind of image, just that He was referring to man and not "humans."

22. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Man can refer to the entirety of mankind or just to males. So it can be interpreted in several ways.

23. LIL LOC ANIMOSITY

LIL LOC ANIMOSITY
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

yes, but it does say that GOD created man in HIS image.. then he created female from man. arent you some sorta muslim or some other shit anyways?

24. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I missed Dr. Rice threads.

25. SPQR

SPQR
    Expand Collapse
    8===D

I dunno after reading this thread, I feel like going to a bar and lacing womens drinks with drugs and raping them.

26. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    You guys aren't actually talking about the economical value of men and women. You're just... I don't know what you're doing. It's like you're all retarded. Are some of you actually discussing the bible?

27. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I tried to The Member Formerly Known As Baya, but they are too retarded! If you want to talk about the topic at hand, you can and I will respond. Since you are clearly megalomaniacal, you might learn something to implement in your "master plan."

28. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I feel quite embarrassed as a 14 year old girl who has never had formal education that I feel smarter than the majority of the people here.

29. Doakes

Doakes
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Wow look at me I'm so cool and badass I'm pretending to be sexist on the internet to try to grow my ED e-penis

30. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I think it would be more impressive to say they deal drugs or are a revolutionary or something along those lines. Since it is that kind of behavior that gets the ladies' attention.