Another Blow to American Freedom

Discussion in 'News' started by sketch, Dec 5, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
?

How would you have voted on the bill?

Poll closed Dec 19, 2011.
  1. Yea

20.0%
  2. Nay

80.0%
  1. sketch

sketch
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

A bill was passed a few days ago with a 93% majority. It's S. 1867: National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2012, which is mostly about military things, and stuff I don't personally care about. I won't have to deal with it, so it's not a concern. The other stuff in the bill is extremely controversial, and I consider it unconstitutional.

[​IMG]

One of the things about bills is that they aren't always about one thing. They can lump several topics and statements into one bill so that a different part of the bill gets passed. It's incredibly sneaky, and nobody can really do anything about it yet.

Anyways, the bill says that police and military will be able to arrest whomever they want indefinitely, with or without probable cause. I want to make sure that you understand the consequences of this: Cops can walk up to you, take you to jail even if you're innocent, and that cop won't have to answer to anyone.

That's right. It's all right here.

You might be wondering how this bill got through when it seems so unconstitutional. Well, it's all about the lumps, there's a few things in the bill that the voters really wanted, and they decided that those things were more important than our freedom, and making the police play by the rules.

There were 7 who voted against the bill, please thank them:

2. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    There is still habeas corpus.

3. hkh

hkh
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

prostitot
    that word just makes me thing of legally blonde.

i'm not proud of that either

4. h0xnbl0w

h0xnbl0w
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Dungeon Keeper
    Home Page:
    You're all domestic terrorists. Enjoy your prison time and I'll be on the lookout for CIA agents. </tinfoil hat>

5. $$Trooper

$$Trooper
    Expand Collapse
    I'm $$Trooper, a badass commie nigger.

Dank Memes professor of Dank Community College.
    Home Page:
    didn't stormtrooper already alert us to this?

6. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    God. OP and everyone like him. SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP.

You're all moronic pieces of shit whose understanding of their civil rights doesn't go much farther than having seen an episode of law and order. You guys make me fucking SICK. Always whining and screaming about what the internet or twitter or the news or whatever want you to whine about. You wanna really be honest? I don't expect that shit to be applied to anyone who isn't brown. Yeah its an extension of powers I don't support, but you guys go all HOPPING UP AND DOWN like they just nuked the statue of liberty.

We are nowhere near what we had during the 50s, or even the 70s under Nixon in terms of civil rights violations. You know what the difference between Obama and Bush and McCarthy and Nixon is? Obama and Bush fucking ASK before they violate your rights, and try to pass a bill to make it legal. The other two didn't, they just did it.

So I hope they do drag you off to gitmo you whiny little fuck. If you don't like it, form a voting block and elect different congresspeople, its just that simple.

This national security stuff will pass, America will learn its lesson, and we'll all be the stronger for it. Unlike you queerbaits, I actually believe in America. But you guys make me sick, I almost want to see an autocratic government arise just to see you guys cry harder.

7. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Basically what you're saying is "trust the government, because daddy knows best"?

I always thought the "fuck the government" attitude was what made Americans American, and a point of pride, that supposedly contrary to people elsewhere Americans placed their faith in themselves and their own actions first and foremost and were generally skeptic about government action. That they had that "forever a rebel", "maverick" spirit, basically.

8. ⑨⑨⑨

⑨⑨⑨
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Drawfag
    Home Page:
    It's been like this in Mexico for ages.

9. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Wow. You missed the point so hard, one might almost think you did so deliberately.

10. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

So you're saying "fuck the government, because in actual what they do means shit"? Because that is a risky attitude.

11. The Lieutenant

The Lieutenant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The Lieutenant
    Also, people seem to have forgotten that the Supreme Court can gimp this law at their leisure now.

12. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Just reread my post, its written it what one calls "English"

13. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I did and all it seems to say that it is un-american to whine about the government, because a) you have it so much better now there is no reason to whine (I do somewhat agree), b) if the government does stupid shit it's not the end of the world, there's always a next government to fix things (which I think is risky because governments do have enough power to fuck shit up beyond repair).

Basically I'd rather have people all up in the government's business all the time, even if they can be annoying than let the government do their thing and BAM! the average citizen is assraped.

14. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    I guess I'd better explain it to you since oyu can't read for shit. No, I said its ANNOYING to whine about the government, and that people really have no capability to frame the actual impact of this law, and that they are making very broad declarations on subjects they know little about.

15. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I was unsasitisfied with my post so I edited it, not knowing you had already replied.

I'll repeat: Basically I'd rather have people all up in the government's business all the time, even if they can be annoying and over-active than let the government do their thing and BAM! the average citizen is assraped.

16. Spin

Spin
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I wouldn't feel bad if they nuked the statue of liberty its just a statue, doesn't really affect peoples lives and is just a tourist attraction serving no purpose anymore. S.1867 on the other hand.....

17. afilthy jew

afilthy jew
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Killing Palestines for a living
    Home Page:
    You clearly mean "this national security stuff will pass, America will not need to learn its lesson, for it will become a Province of the Republic of China"