America Admiral Gets Spearphished

Discussion in 'News' started by MrGask, Mar 13, 2012.

1. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

I don't see how that bolded section could go wrong at all.
    For example, is this the real one, or the fake one?
    Holy shit! The Military actually says something intelligent in the red section. They must have had help from the European partners on that.

Also, this story seems oddly familiar, yet I just cannot put my finger on it...

http://thehackernews.com/2012/03/chinese-spied-on-nato-officials-using.html

2. zaiger

zaiger
    Expand Collapse
    2017 Faggot Of The Year

Dramaticorp
    Home Page:
    I disagree with the statement that social engineering has nothing to do with espionage.

3. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:
    They've been pulling things like this for a while now. Look at the names of some of the companys above. Northop Gruman for one, they make shit like life support systems for fighter jets, tank parts, ect. I got a family member who used to work for them. Plant they were working at was loked down like fort knox. Not going to look up the other ones, but I'm sure they got some government contracts too.

Point is though. If it has to do with chinese hackers on steroids, there's espionage in there somewhere.

4. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    I agree with what you are saying, but also that this type of attack it not a "hack" but rather a scam.

5. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Yes, let's make everybody on FaceBook even more paranoid.

6. luvur

luvur
    Expand Collapse
    Integrated Mind

Lulz
    Home Page:
    But definitely espionage, and definitely hackers working for the Chinese government. Well I'm not saying social engineering takes technical knowledge. But It's just them trying to dissociate the incident with these other ones which do involve hacking. The other attempts also had espionage as a goal.

7. TheBrickBalls

TheBrickBalls
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Gay Nigger
    Home Page:
    A lot of our high ranking service members and defense contract workers with increasingly advanced clearances tend to avoid creating social network profiles due to privacy reasons that could compromise their clearances(as well as their careers). I'm not surprised that that admiral avoided making a profile in the first place, especially one on fucking facebook.

8. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    I lived in china, no question the chinks are trying this, we'll wise up eventually, the question is how long it will take. They aren't the greatest when it comes to initiative or original thinking.

9. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Home Page:
    I want to know who the hell fell for it. I know our IT guys spend way too much of their day just dicking around on the net, but I had hoped it was not on FB. Although, thinking on it again, FB may be one of the few unblocked sites on milnet.

10. KoalaRimjob

KoalaRimjob
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Server Administration
    Should have installed dlp software on the niggers pc

11. Slenderman

Slenderman
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Being confused with trees.
    Home Page:
    Yes, yes. Let's exchange information on a social network. Social engineering is something gentlemen don't use outside of pubs.

12. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

what do the Chinese even hope to accomplish with this shit?

13. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Its espionage, and shit like facebook can actually be super revealing. Once you know the patterns in someone's life, its alot easier to keep track of them/find shit on them. Its a sound strategy. tbqh, I don't think anyone with security clearanace above a certain level should even have a facebook or twitter, unless of course its like they are a congressman, and its an official one that a staff manages, and is just used to do shit like "hey guys, vote on x measure"

14. I_Cant

I_Cant
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

well, obviously those security measures are not in place, as you will commonly see congressmen blogging during one another's speeches if you watch C-SPAN

and I understand that one somewhat, but what about China's other hacks/espionage actions/whatever? their attack on google and other businesses wouldn't do shit in their favor, since said companies could easily remove whatever the hackers put in, AND would likely hold a grudge over it.

15. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
  16. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    Didn't Goatse Security's IPad hack show that high ranking executive and military officials could be monitored and tracked?

17. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sentient Game-Boy Thingie
    Home Page:
    Actually, you're 100% correct. Social Engineering is the primary means that OPFOR countries gather intel on US Forces. It;s basic HUMINT 101

18. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Sentient Game-Boy Thingie
    Home Page:
    Why am I not surprised that you would know of Mr. Huber? I see you are a fellow fan of his writings.

19. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Meh. He was valuable insofar as he was a former insider. Though I believe the first time I realised how utterly hopeless American soldiers are was when I read one of his articles. It was about a very specific incident in Afghanistan, though it obviously had broader implications on how Americans wage war and on the mentality they hold.