Alien Technology

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by MrGask, Apr 18, 2012.

1. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    Since humans have developed their technology, and indeed our very scientific filter, through their own perceptions (preponderance of visual, audio, tactile technologies), why do we then suppose that any possible intelligent alien life form would share the same filter(s)?
    Examples would include the SETI, which looks for/broadcasts radio waves. Why for, when anything we pick up is more likely background noise to the universe than intelligent signal?

I suppose to a certain extent it is all we can look for, as we are not going to detect what we cannot detect (dark matter, neutrinos, etc...) after all.

2. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I don't know, but I can tell you there is lost alien technology in Siberia. Probably not much use anymore, except for the metallurgy aspects and the hard knowledge (assuming you don't consider Puma Punku as evidence which is pretty retarded) that we are not alone.

3. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    The odds of finding other intelligent life in the distant reaches of the universe do seem imposible don't they? I mean what are the odds that natural evolution, no natural processes gave rise to life, at all? It's all improbable, I think.

4. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    And don't get me ranting about utterly stupid PR stunts like the Pioneer plaque...

:picard:

5. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    Those fucking expensive golden plates? Perfect waste of money, but at least they put something useful on them. I hope the 'aliens' don't melt them down for the gold.

6. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    vat?

7. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    You know, human sounds,and culture? Although from your perspective, they were completely useless, am I right?

8. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    More like completely indecipherable...

[​IMG]

wow, so telling...it's like an epiphany of meaning right there in under one's very eyes

Wait, the aliens don't even have to have fucking eyes...

9. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    Ha ha. True enough. Never thought of aliens that way.

10. Atomic_Joe

Atomic_Joe
    Expand Collapse
    Joevahkiin

Throat Puncher
    Home Page:
    C'mon...Earth is the Alabama of our solar system. No intelligent being wants to stop here. It's like an intergalactic 7-11.

11. oddguy

oddguy
    Expand Collapse
    The Prime Memeister

rare deepwater jew
    Home Page:
  12. Harpoons

Harpoons
    Expand Collapse
    Fissure of Man

13. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    Loved that show.

14. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    Read the Ophuichi hotline by John Varley.

15. Ghost People

Ghost People
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Sierra Madre Maintenance
    Home Page:
    Aliens would only stop here to wipe us out so we aren't competition in the future.

Luckily I'll be there to stop them

16. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    They probably communicate with rectal waves or "farts" as we call them.

17. MrGask

MrGask
    Expand Collapse
    #FreeGask

Bastard child of Jigsaw and Kayako
    Home Page:
    I think that in an infinite universe, there is infinite possibility for life.
    Some have suggested that our only hope is to hide among the rest of the space garbage. Others suggest we look for large scale power generation (dyson sphere, solar flare generation, etc...) to give us clues to which regions may be inhabited.
    Again we run into the problem of our filter, as alien beings may not have the same power requirements as us.

18. faggotmaximum

faggotmaximum
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

rape
    how do you propose we search for something in a way that we don't know exists?

19. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

The images on the back are instructions on how to play the record. You wouldn't understand them, but I'm sure that a technologically advanced society would have smart enough scientists that could do it. You could compare it to how the Rosetta Stone allowed us to decipher Egyptian hieroglyphs.

[​IMG]

Shit makes sense if you're clever.

The odds are enormous. One would have to be rather egocentric to believe that our planet -and humanity by extension- is so special that in the entirety of our vast universe, consisting of an estimated 300 sextillion stars, there is not one other body where intelligent life could occur. I mean, we've already found evidence pointing at the possibility of life on Mars and this is still just in our own solar system. Our own galaxy already has hundreds of billions and billions of stars, so the odds of life on other planets in the Milky Way are already largely in favor of it.

20. 1H4T3NUMB3R5

1H4T3NUMB3R5
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Snek
    Scientist Reported this Alien Television broadcast a while back, how did you all miss this fantastic event?

[​IMG]

21. Akula

Akula
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

n/a
    Home Page:
    Why are you such a goddamn faggot? You sum up all of the worst parts of the MLP fandom. I bet you even fap to r34 of them using your personal bad dragon dildo.

22. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Man, that surely is the dumbest thing I have seen you state.

Rosseta stone worked only because one third of it was written in greek, which we already understand perfectly

What part of the Pioneer plaque is written in "Romulan" ?

And don't say "the mathematical part"

Mathematics isn't an alphabet...mathematics are an infinite ideospace, with whole continents not yet even discovered, which can be the ones inhabited by those aliens...far, far from the ones we already have developed/discovered

Ok, let's do a couple of mental experiments.

Let's say Aristotle was commisioned to do a version of the plaque.

He wrote there the most basic knowledge about the known universe, like the five elements of nature which make everything (earth, fire, air, water and aether...) , the distance from Athenas to the 7 Wonders of the World (noted in Milesian numerals, of course...), etc, etc

Question A: Do you really think that a Mayan sciencist (who, for example, instead of writing out the number 352.589, as we do, would use a shorthand notation and write it as 2.4.1.9.9, where the numbers 2, 4, 1, 9, and 9
    represent the “coefficients” in front of the powers of 20...) would be able to dechyper it?

Question B: Do you really think than an alien civilization's worldview/ideospace would be closer to ours than the Greek one is to Mayan one?

Let's not put a hard example, let's not talk about civilizations based in energy fields, or superconductor based ETIs, or with enormously different size or time scales (like would be a neutron star civilization), or even silicon based bio-chemistries (or nitrogen, or non-water-based, etc)

U see, I'm giving you a lot of room to work...;)

Just imagine a carbon-water-oxygen alien civilizacion evolved from something similar to an ant colony.
    They even have (compound ) eyes! ( but sensible to the infrared or gamma parts of the EM spectrum)

Although their primary form of intercomunication is trough feromones.

They are really clever, and technologicaly advanced, way more than us, but have developed entirely alien branchs of mathematics and logic, they don't have written/visual languajes (they don't need, they use chemistry for that instead of letters), their artistic forms are tactile, they don't have ears (bye, bye Pioneer recording, lol...) because there's no really dangerous predators in their ecosystem

They have completely different concepts about time (much more different than abbos, which is already pretty different...), existence, feelings, emotions, society/politics/ethics/moralrs (remember, they evolved from a hive...)

Etc, etc, etc

Do you really think that they would not only decipher the Pioneer plaque, but even recognize it as anything remotely akin to a message?

23. skylerconcarne

skylerconcarne
    Expand Collapse
    Not Banned

Illiterate pimp
    Home Page:
    You're a wise man.

24. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    Pioneer.

:p

25. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    I like your faith. Maybe I should reconsider too. Maybe when there's something tangible I can grasp.

26. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

First of all, mathematics IS the universal language. The principles and foundations of math are the same everywhere in this universe. One plus one equals two if you write it as Arabic numerals 1+1=2, Roman numerals I+I =II, or in a completely different numeral system like hexadecimal or binary as is the case with the Pioneer Plaque and the Voyager Golden Record. The concept of 2 items is the same no matter where you are, an actual advanced alien civilization would not suddenly think that 1+1=3 because they use chemistry to communicate.

The symbol depicting the hyperfine transition of hydrogen, the most abundant atom in the universe represents binary 1. If they can figure this out, they can figure out the rest because binary numbers are the most basic way to store information. Converting binary to any numeral system or notation is completely trivial to a civilization capable of space travel or even orbit, as is recognizing the hydrogen atom in that little diagram.

Yes, those ants would be able to decipher this plaque if they were more advanced than us, it doesn't matter that they can't see in our spectrum. We can't see the infrared spectrum, yet we know it's there and have developed tools to be able to perceive it. It's not exactly a huge leap of faith to assume that this super advanced civilization of yours has developed ways to perceive the rest of the spectrum. Also, it's rather illogical for a species to be sensitive only to frequencies at opposite ends of the EM spectrum.

I'm quite sure that the people involved with these projects like Carl Sagan were a lot smarter than CallMeMaggot and trying to insult my vast intelligence won't exactly prove your point.

27. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    True, but you have to recognize first those numbers.

Of corse, when I gave the example of Mayan notation 2.4.1.9.9, you instantaneusly recognized the number 352.589 in ours, using that "vast intelligence" of yours, amrite?

haha, cool story bro

A civilization that relies, like in my example, in chemical notation for recording information is likely to don't be able to recognize ANY graphical symbol, not just that one.

And even if they have eyes, which is another assumption of yours, recognizing that symbol as an hydrogen atom is a purely cultural matter. Because, u know, an hidrogen atom don't look like that...at all

That visual representation comes from a lot of cultural and biological conditionants, which almost certainly will not be shared by another alien civilizations

And even more, you are assuming that the hydrogen atom is considered by them like the fundamental structure of the universe...a universe which have x9 times more dark matter than hydrogen, probably, which we don't know what is...and x10 times more dark energy, whatever that could be...

A lot of assumptions there...

hey! let me play some violin music...

...to the sweet, sweet sound of ur butthurt

"He..he..doubted the the beliefs of my idol...how can he even dare?...that lowly worm..." :qq:

bwhahaha

28. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    In August, 1993 the IAU's Commission 51 met for its fourth triennial conference. Unofficially.

Less than a year after NASA's ambitious SETI program began to search, SETI came under open attack for allegedly being a "pseudo science." The IAU officially declined to sponsor the Commission 51 conference scheduled for 1993 amidst questions raised by some of its members about whether SETI was a legitimate scientific enterprise, especially when contrasted to other, "harder," concerns of the Commission such as studying the origins and evolution of life, exobiological habitats, and searching for extrasolar planets.

The conference bore uncomfortable similarities to the 1987 conference, during which SETI suffered challenges to some of its basic premises. A number of scientists raised "nature"-based issues about SETI-style searches. Most surprisingly, two SETI astronomers joined in. Sounding surprisingly sympathetic to the positions of their Soviet counterparts more than two decades previously, they suggested that SETI should be especially alert for a certain type of signal that is "far more robust in handling the likely chasm between the cultures and mental processes of the transmitting and receiving civilizations." They advised SETI to target signals that would "transfer information without recourse to the usually suggested schemes of coding for mathematical sequences, images, logic, etc. For such schemes to succeed, it is necessary that the thought structures, ways of perceiving the world, and languages of sender and recipient include much in common despite wholly different biologies and cultures."

Seven weeks after the IAU conference Senator Richard H. Bryan, Democrat of Nevada, introduced a congressional amendment to halt all NASA funding for SETI.

The "nature"-based critiques have obviously had some impact on SETI's current leadership. Today the SETI project describes itself as "an exploratory science that seeks evidence of life in the universe [while acknowledging that] whether evolution will give rise to intelligent, technological civilizations is open to speculation."

SETI still, however, assumes that ETIs are humanoid. In doing so, they cling to assumptions that attract increasingly clear and public criticism.

Commission 51 entitled its 2007 conference "Molecules, Microbes and Extraterrestrial Life." SETI managed to get a two-hour slot at the end of the five-day conference.

ROFL, bye, bye, Sagan's retarded child, there u go...

(All that quoted from James M. Cordes and Woodruff T. Sullivan III, "Astrophysical Coding: A New Approach to SET Signals", David Grinspoon, Lonely Planets – The Natural Philosophy of Alien Life and Donald Goldsmith and Tobias Owen, The Search for Life in the Universe, 3d ed. (Sausalito, CA: University Science Books, 2002) among other sources)

29. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

Which is why we use the simplest numeral system available, binary.
    An advanced civilization knows that a hydrogen atom consists of one proton and one electron, making the connection between a dot orbiting another dot isn't that difficult.
    Could you please stop raging at your keyboard? It's starting to make your sentences rather hard to decipher. If these aliens have a hard-on for dark matter, they'll still know what hydrogen is.
    The Voyager Disc is important as a time-capsule for humanity. Even if not a single alien civilization ever finds it, it will have been worth it.