About sionra

Discussion in 'DeviantART' started by ou_gee, Nov 10, 2011.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
A very friendly community
  1. ou_gee

ou_gee
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The fact that I signed up because of this...

I bet you've seen her drawings on the dA front page before. They are easily recognized for depicting her characters having sex all the time. Well, guess what I've found out:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thought you guys had to know.

2. Moo

Moo
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Home Page:
    Tracer?

3. Killerratte

Killerratte
    Expand Collapse
    Dangerously unfunny

Self-loathing hobby "artist"
    Home Page:
    Nice discovery

4. Qwerty

Qwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

lurker here and I also made an account just because I saw this thread so I could second it. sionra is awful. she not only never credits her sources, but she also CONSTANTLY miscategorizes her work, thats why shes always on the front page. she says she does her work in 'pencil' then colors digitally but I suspect that it is digitally traced from those stock photos. then she goes and puts her digital art into a low competition category like "Design and Interfaces" or "Literature" (lol) and thus frontpages easily. a lot of people abuse the front page like this but she does it almost EVERY DAY. . she is also currently selling a new ARTBOOK. full of traced or HEAVILY REFERENCED poses. hurray.

awful. one of the worst deviants.

5. Qwerty

Qwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

[​IMG]

For example this is on the front page. she put this in Literature / Poetry / Emotional / Visual & Found Poetry just because it has some shitty text on it - a poem that she didn't even WRITE.

And I recognize those flowers, im almost sure they are from one of those stock image books, I doubt she drew them - notice how the line quality on the flowers is slightly different than the lineart on the person.

6. FeelinSoFlyLikeaSK-47

FeelinSoFlyLikeaSK-47
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

You think she'll flip if someone linked this to her? lol nice find.

7. Ghost People

Ghost People
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Sierra Madre Maintenance
    Home Page:
    She probably thinks by adding little cosmetic effects it's suddenly her own original work.

8. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Oh wow, I think I faved one of her pieces. Ew.

As for poses, you can use them because it's not something that is unique, or something that can be copyrighted. I don't always cite my sources for references when I post my work. The issue to me would be if she traced from those images.

Has anyone put this on her site or messaged her about it? I think it'd be funny to see her reactions, or if she'd have any white knights show up.

9. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    wow that is awful, at least she should link to the reference.

10. TickTock

TickTock
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

There's a difference between referencing and tracing. Referencing is essential to drawing just about anything correct because our brains don't work that well. However, if she just threw those into photoshop and drew on top of them, that's garbage.

She really needs to reference trace the faces better though. Good lord, her half anime faces are really terrible in most of those. Especially the girl with the hat. Dem eyes. Plus, her style looks like a worse version of http://orpheelin.deviantart.com/

11. Qwerty

Qwerty
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

not saying poses are "copyrighted", they can't be, but its still crappy to use/trace/reference that many stock photos (from paid stock photo sites judging by the watermarks) and not ever mention it, over hundreds of art pieces. its just disappointing and makes you wonder what part of the art is actually a representation of the artists skill. there are plenty of great artists who always work from reference and who always CREDIT or mention it, theres nothing wrong with using reference, but the diff is what you care to admit to your followers. ergh

12. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The only response from her I've seen so far is to hide the 'bad' comments and tack on 'ref' in some of her images, saying that she's said that before, but not all of them have that. That's not going to make everything better, she should know that.

13. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    sionra is coping her.

14. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Are you sure about that? One could say that about 'Disney' artists who just draw in the Disney style but they're not all copying each other. Not that I'm defending her but I saw the other girl's site and I didn't see anything that lent itself to copying outright.

15. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Nah I joking.

16. Thayora

Thayora
    Expand Collapse
    Moeologist

Home Page:
    Tracing does not warrant an article, sorry.

17. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    I agree.

18. fishnchips

fishnchips
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Delicious meal
    - Group not accept[​IMG] bad scanned sketches, inaccurate works, very small works with watermark on all area, tracing from photo drawings without credits, drawing of 'two faces' without any sense, drawing of one character and bodyparts of other character.

From the rules of her own "Let's circlejerk over our boring Mary-Sues fucking their Gary-Stus" group. Not only is it hypocritical, the grammar hurts my brain.

And oh, wonder! There were some comments on her page that got hidden shortly after this thread came up... I wonder what they said.

19. Fermented

Fermented
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

This is not really traced, as it is so heavily referenced that she practically just redrew the pictures.

Also the first one has a grossly small head.

20. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    tracer1.

oh, ok

21. Fermented

Fermented
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Oh, I didn't really overlay them, just compared them.

Some of them* (?)
    My fault. I went up early this morning.

22. CallMeMaggot

CallMeMaggot
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Home Page:
    no problem, bro, anyways I'm not really a DAmacrat, only smartassing a little around here...;)

(P.S: Someone should send that pic to her...or her fans)

23. Bottom Feeder

Bottom Feeder
    Expand Collapse
    Likeicares Bitch

GBP Management Assistant
    Traced, sure but it all depends on her attitude towards critisism, view of her own "art" and her fanbase, if those stinks she could deserve an article, no?

24. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

The overlay doesn't match very well and mostly of her hands are a failure so you can't call it traced.

Also, traced or not, that kind of articles are not allowed anymore.

My only issue with her is that the referenced photos are pay-to-use stock. I think we know what happens when people use that stock without paying.

25. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

I use stock images to reference a lot but I don't always reference them and I've had no problem with it.

26. TickTock

TickTock
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

The way I've come to understand reference is to take parts from a number of photos or whatever and create a new image. Maybe a hand from one photo, a face angle from another, and clothing folds from a third. Even if you're referencing a general pose (not talking about figure/life drawing), change a couple things up a bit. What's the point of copying it verbatim? It will never better or equal to the original, unless you're a photo realistic painter (which I've never gotten the point of), so you're just making an inadequate copy. It's boring.

27. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Her art is boring.

It's so bland... Her characters looks so fake. I don't feel any of the passion she is trying so bad to convey.

28. Synthia

Synthia
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Haha well...I do that a lot. I like to get as close to the reference as I can, but over the years I've changed my methods and end up working more from memory first and then finding references to solidify the image so it won't look wonky.

And I've tested this myself, but an artist can eyeball something well so that when you compare the reference, (if they're trying to get as close to it as they can) it will line up pretty well.

Edit: Lurkerella - But they're in sexy poses! That conveys passion totally.

29. fishnchips

fishnchips
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Delicious meal
    The thing is, she copies not only the poses from the photos, but also the style of Orpheelin - and her stuff is already bland as hell (and all her artist friends draw exactly the same things in the same style). The fact that they all say "I want to be in character design some day" makes it even funnier, since I never can tell their boring flat characters apart.

30. Lurkerella

Lurkerella
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

[​IMG]