A Speech I wrote for my local Occupy Movement, but I was never able to give it

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Dr. Rice, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    So when the local OWS movement sprang up in my city, I was one of the first people (literally number 6) to start to help out and played a pivotal role in making our OWS movement one of the largest gatherings in the nation (5th) during the time that we had our first protest (over 2700+ people). I wanted to give a speech (as I am quite an orator) about my thoughts on the OWS movement and the global revolution.

However, at the day, I wasn't given enough time to give my speech because a local leader's efforts in creating a movement out of nothing in 9 days is equal to that of a crazy bitch (who has destroyed movements in the past) who believes in the Illuminati (A Bohemian Grove activist) and other activists who were obviously trying to bring attention to their own stupid movements.

So here is my speech for you people.

Hello ladies and gentlemen, and officers of the law, I am hoping everyone is having a good time regardless of one’s occupation.

Ten months ago, a Tunisian street vender named Mohamed Bouazizi wanted to make more of himself. He was a charitable man, giving what he could to the very poor. He was a human being with hopes, fears, and disappointments. Mohamed was one of us. On December 17th 2010, Mohamed Bouazizi forever changed the world. When he had his fruit confiscated for not having a license to sell, he offered an inadequate sum as a bribe, to the police. The female officer spat in his face and degraded him verbally. She then ordered two other officers to beat him in front of his fellow merchants. Afterwards he went to the governor’s office and demanded to be seen. When they refused to see him, Mohamed told them if they wouldn’t see him he would set himself on fire. He acquired a can of gasoline and stood in the middle of noonday traffic saying “how do you expect me to make a living?” Mohamed then poured the gasoline all over himself and set himself ablaze. 28 days later President Ben Ali, who had been in power for 23 years, fled to Saudi Arabia as revolutionary forces spread like wild fire in direct result from this humble street vendor’s martyrdom.

Since the Tunisian Revolution, a tsunami of people power has spread across the globe. Algeria, Egypt, Bahrain, Jordan, Yemen, Sudan, Syria, Morocco, Libya, Cote d'Ivoire, India, Chile, Bolivia, Albania, Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy, and now America, are now experiencing a revolution of the people. While the diversity of these people participating in their country’s revolutions greatly varies, their demands are more unified than you think: Equality, Democracy, Human Rights, an End to Corruption, and an End to Crony Capitalism. These are universal demands that people all over the world are making. Change is coming, and despite it being self-evident, there are people who refuse to acknowledge what is on the horizon.

Change happened long ago, twenty years ago after the fall of the Soviet Union. However at that time, change was opaque, while change now is clear as day. Despite this fundamental change in the game, the leaders of our government continue to play by Cold War rules in a post Cold War world. Our government is treating the BRIC Countries: Brazil, Russia, India, and China as threats instead opportunities. This is dangerous not only for our nation, but for the entire world. Our government and many citizens continue to believe that the only way America can continue its dominance in the world is through a strong military. However, that is playing by Cold War rules in an emerging multipolar world with participants who play by different tactics than a simple arms race. I am sure most of us here are aware of our dependence on foreign oil, but that is insignificant compared to our dependence on Chinese rare earth metals. In the 1980s, the Chinese began to monopolize the world’s market in rare earth metals and destroyed all competitors by significantly slashing prices. In 2009, the Chinese controlled 95% of the world’s market in these metals. These metals are used in things like cars, computers, iProducts, cell phones, jet engines, and other high technology that we all have come to depend on. Unlike oil, we cannot replace rare earth metals by other means.

This is just one example of how tactics are changing. The Chinese began controlling this industry 30 years ago, when we were still engaged in the Cold War. It would be foolish to think that this is the only stratagem they have. Not only that, but there are three other powers, who I am sure have their own strategic agendas. The other three are competing not only against China, but also against America for the spot of King of the Hill. While none of the BRIC nations wish, or plan, physical harm against America, it would be foolish of them not to gain advantages over their economic competitors. To deal with such competition, we need to realize that the current leadership in Washington DC is no longer competent enough to compete in a world that is becoming smarter every day.

Not only is the world getting smarter, the world is getting smaller every day. There is no point in trying to reverse the tide of globalization. We as a species, are becoming more global and interconnected, and this is not a bad thing. It is a good thing. By becoming more interdependent on other parts of the globe, we as a species, are beginning to think about the big picture. We begin to realize that problems on the other side of the globe are not simply other people’s problems, they are also our problems. And when we think from this mentality, there are countless challenges that face humanity that need to be addressed before it is too late.

I am sure we all have our own ideas about how we can solve some of these problems and we all have visions and dreams we wish to see accomplished. But that is not why we are here. We are here because there is a fundamental flaw in the current status quo of our political and economic system that until we address it, will inhibit us from moving on to more important matters. As soldiers of democracy, we need to realize there are priorities that must be addressed before personal issues like: healthcare, education, nuclear proliferation, gay rights, legalizing marijuana and the environment can be dealt with. All of these are attainable to the leaders of tomorrow.

But the question is where do we start now? What should our goals be? I thought a lot about this and I struggled to come up a collection of good ideas. A former Political Science teacher told me to check out FDR’s Second Bill of Rights. In his Second Bill of Rights he states

“We have come to a clear realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. “Necessitous men are not free men.” People who are hungry and out of a job are the stuff of which dictatorships are made. In our day, these economic truths have become accepted as self-evident. We have accepted, so to speak, a second Bill of Rights under which a new basis of security and prosperity can be established for all—regardless of station, race, or creed.”

FDR layed out his policy in his Bill
    · The right to a useful and remunerative job, in the industries or shops or farms or mines of the nation;
    · The right to earn enough to provide adequate food and clothing and recreation;
    · The right of every farmer to raise and sell his products at a return which will give him and his family a decent living;
    · The right of every businessman, large and small, to trade in an atmosphere of freedom from unfair competition and domination by monopolies at home or abroad;
    · The right of every family to a decent home;
    · The right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health;
    · The right to adequate protection from the economic fears of old age, sickness, accident, and unemployment;
    · The right to a good education.

These are realistic and obtainable goals that we can achieve for our nation. I refuse to believe that the richest nation on earth cannot accomplish these simple goals. If we can land on the Moon, and see galaxies on the furthest visible corners of the universe, why can we not guarantee equality, prosperity, and happiness for all our citizens, not just for the privileged few? We are the 99%! We have the ability to come up with solutions to achieve these goals and even more. I refuse to accept no for an answer, I refuse to accept that this is impossible. Because it’s not impossible. And I know with all my heart that all of you here believe the same!

2. Dynamic Entry

Dynamic Entry
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Hokage
    TL;DR

pile of hipster :shit:

3. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    If you read this, you would realize I am making a subtle argument for fascism (because I always am).

4. Dynamic Entry

Dynamic Entry
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Hokage
    if you read this, you would realize i dont give a flying fuck

5. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    Sorry rice but is to long.

6. 1H4T3NUMB3R5

1H4T3NUMB3R5
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Snek
    not bad actually, from a non-biased perspective its quite the compelling argue speech. But I'm still be under the belief that its to idealist.

7. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    How is it too idealist? You know who FDR is right?

8. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Read it you queer, it is important to understand how fucking dastardly the Chinese really are and I address this in the speech.

9. 1H4T3NUMB3R5

1H4T3NUMB3R5
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Snek
    You can't have "equal oppurtunity", it is human nature to try and get ahead, rise in the ranks, be more than you can be. but as anyone should know for there to be the victorious, there must also be the losers.
    -sure, a farmer can sell his crops at a good enough price, but another farmer might be able to sell it for a little cheaper, hence we come back to square one.
    -sure a business man can have fair competition, but once one gets lucky, he can afford to sell a little cheaper than the rest with less risk. hence, once again, back to square one.
    -the fear of problems is satisfied with insurance, however, you can't get covered unless some people pay. and the government can't just shit out and endless supply of money, and doctors and repairs cost money. so we have to pay for this right when we may never actually get our money back., and hopefully we wont need to, because that means we're safe.
    I do however agree on education, everyone should start one the same playing field no matter the success of their parent.

10. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I agree, we can't all be winners.

This I disagree on, the French government has set prices on bread and there isn't any problems with supply. We should be more intelligent with basic food staples instead of letting commodity markets overvalue the price of basic foods because people starve that way (in the millions).

That is not what FDR's statement is about, he means unfair competition because of an inequality that is in the system (such as government policy that favors one business over another for undue reason), not that everyone should be a winner if they are not a viable business model.

The government can afford things like healthcare costs if Americans lived healthier lifestyles (to the parts they can control) such as eating healthier and seeing a doctor more regularly to prevent any problems from getting out of hand (which costs more in the long run, preventative care saves money).

I do however agree on education, everyone should start one the same playing field no matter the success of their parent.[/quote]

And an education shouldn't simply be a college degree, education is many things.

11. ChristianWarrior94

ChristianWarrior94
    Expand Collapse
    Emissary of Christ

Also known as being a coward.

12. 1H4T3NUMB3R5

1H4T3NUMB3R5
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Snek

13. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    I am a fascist, I don't care about privileges (or as you call them rights). I would support a system that requires you into taking care of yourself by eating healthy foods and exercising. Your unhealthiness hurts society as a whole and shouldn't be allowed. It also takes away the rights from others, like the right to enjoy your vision (because noone likes looking at fatties). The fleshy vessel your soul possesses is a gift from God and it is a sin to waste and destroy it.

There is nothing wrong with taxation. Also I support executing, via hanging, corrupt politicians and bureaucrats.

14. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Well at least you're honest about the outcome, Rice. All those OWS supporters support fascism in one form or another but are too dishonest (with themselves or others) or ignorant to admit it.

15. 1H4T3NUMB3R5

1H4T3NUMB3R5
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Snek
    Although I can agree with you, I am simply looking at this from the view of the majority. o Your ideas, as i said, are Ideal, but people are not ready to believe in that form of government after being spoiled for so long.

Personally, I would LOVE if people had more restrictions, it provides order and overall success if properly executed, and people get off to easy for punishments now a days. Because people of the world have gotten to soft.

If you don't let fatty eat, your a horrible person, if you execute people your "inhumane" and if you take away rights that we cling to, well your just plane evil. The will of the common class is against such large changes, no matter how well you know they can work potentially.

Its a little late for me so I'll end with good luck and try not to kill off your supporters via freezing to death in your tents.

16. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    We are all fascists because we believe in imposing our wills onto others because we all believe we are right and everyone else is wrong. I know you think the same way too.

17. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    No, you're fascists because you people have the exact same economic policy (and socio-economic-political outlook) as Mussolini. (That's not even mentioning the terminology.)

18. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    You know what I meant, but still you fascist you :3

19. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Nice dream.

Never going to happen.

Humans are fundamentally flawed arseholes, and just like in American toilets, the poo floats to the top.

Rulers are always going to be corrupt, the masses are always going to take it right up the arse to pay for the man.

You'll have your little sheltered societies like the Scandanavian communes where your pipe dream is sort of close to reality, but as soon as you start mixing races etc, the whole thing breaks down.

I know we all crap on about niggers etc around here, but the truth is, as soon as you let races and/or groups with differing values mix together, everything goes to shit. Like taking a nice glass of wine, and dropping a small dog turd into it.

I admire your optimism, however I would like to take this opportunity to shit all over your dreams.

20. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Also, uh, monopolies don't exist outside government interference.

21. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    True.

However, monopolies are necessary in many situations.

Just like dictatorships being the only effective form of government (sorry Americunts, your version of Democrapcy is fucked), monopolies are necessary for effective operation essential services.

I class telecommunications, utilities and to an extent airlines, as essential services.

22. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Yes I am aware of my pipe dream will not be accomplished in my life time. This doesn't bother me because I do not think in normal time, but eternally or "Chinese time." Creating a model is what is necessary for an ideology to survive long after the death of its founder. This is how philosophy works and is immortalized.

To deal with mixing cultures and races you need to educate the comman man beyond the pathetic existence they currently reside in. I believe in the conformity of non-conformity (assuming your individuality isn't destructive to others around you) because it is our differences not simply physically, but ideologically that make us strong as a species. However, in order for this system I envision to work a sense of commonly enforced dogmatism regarding how individuals must treat one another must be in place. In a new age of man (our current age) we must either continue, reject, or add onto the moral philosophies that came before us. We must teach our children that individuality is great, but in the end it comes second to our common humanity. That people who wish to divide us are the enemies of our species and must be reeducated. Only by achieving enlightenment as a species can we move forward and enlightenment is something that can only happen one individual at a time.

23. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    My feelings on monopolies are mixed. If the company is so good that it destroys competition by being better, then it should be allowed to be a monopoly. If it destroys competition by buying and merging, then that should be prevented via anti-trust laws.

Certain utilities such as power and water are essential services and it is foolish for the government to create a middle man to distribute these services. These are too critical for human survival to be entrusted in the hands of private companies. Yes I know the standard idea of government as full of waste, but that doesn't have to be the case. Governments can be effective without being dictatorships. It is merely a matter of will.

I realize democracy is bullshit and a lie (especially ours), but I only support it because merit is not a hereditary trait and a single ideology cannot govern forever. Leaders and their ideas need to change from time to time and a democracy (or some system of government that allows new people in occasionally) allows this to happen. Democracy is the struggle of the people against themselves. If we cannot struggle for a better system to live in, then we are forever doomed to tyranny.

24. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:

So how did that whole immortalisation work out for Mao and his little commie mates? Their bullshit's being swept aside by the tide of human greed.

The only Chinese Time that's going to be around in 100 years is "You order ready for pick up in 10 mins".

If I've read and understood your posts (which is a big fucking "if") then you're espousing a version of libertarianism. Every person lives & lets live, with a mind towards the impact of their actions on others. Correct? Close? Missed by a fucking mile?

25. ExplosiveDiareah

ExplosiveDiareah
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Occupy Sydney was a load of shit.
    they knew they were going against the city's central business district's rules not only did they break them, they pretty much demonstrated WHY they existed, by leaving tables, numerous trash bags lying around, just basically had a big mess, tents rubbish tables stacked with rubbish and more trash, and chairs and shit just laying around.

also you had the dickheads that broke into empty unit blocks, which was trespassing, basically they provided legitimate clear reasons for the Police to get them the fuck off.
    when protesting, you are supposed to follow the laws in the area, it's not hard to do, and unlike in the U.S i did not see or hear about Police pepperspraying or tazering on a whim, not any clubbing or bashing, just plain old GET TO THE FUCKING GROUND I'M REMOVING YOU FROM THESE PREMISES action.

26. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    AHAHAHAHHAHA oh my god, whate are you like, TWELVE. Jesus, spellcheck, grammar check, and go to fucking sfchool and learn yourself some better ideology.

People like you are a prime example of why the occupy movement is the woorst thing to happen to America this decade. Fucking moron.

27. Beefcake

Beefcake
    Expand Collapse
    Best-selling author

28. THEE HAMMER

THEE HAMMER
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

^ Sagan is a pretty cool guy.

29. Lloyd

Lloyd
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

I think what Fascism needs is a rebranding. Then nothing would stop the fascists from taking over.

30. Seku

Seku
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

bad bich
    Home Page:
    NEW!
    IMPROVED!
    ORGANIC!
    FAT-FREE!