A Somewhat Serious Question

Discussion in 'Religion & Politics' started by Slavoj Jizzek, May 8, 2012.

1. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

I'm an evil Scotsman and my name is Jock
    As a college student, I have been beaten over the head repeatedly with the fact that a lack of same-sex marriage in the US is a travesty. I always scratched my head at this. In the beginning I always pointed out that a strong majority of Americans (62%) support civil unions.

Still, gays seem to insist that this isn't good enough. Personally, I don't see a point to granting gay couples the same societal status as marriages (read, not legal rights, but general social views.) For one thing, this goes back to the fact that even the Hellenist Greeks didn't see a reason to institute gay marriage, and they ate cock sandwiches for breakfast lunch and dinner. The island of Lesbos had no "gay marriages." Also, while civil unions provide legal rights and benefits to people as specified by a person granting the rights, marriage holds a linguistic weight balanced by all previous ages.

In other words, by sheer use of the word "marriage," gays are using the legitimacy of the words "husband" and "wife" and all of the other traditional aspects without actually having to conform to them (post-structural theory of language). They draw equivalence between a biological union meant to produce offspring and a union of two adults who wish to hump with society's blessing. I don't see where these things really share common ground aside from the act of humping.

My question is, "Is there a good reason at all for gay marriage?"

2. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    Nope. Marriages are designed to protect (via legitimisation) offspring. Seeing as how homosexuals don't actually have offspring, there isn't much point in having them. Homos just need to feel oppressed (as it is tantamount to their twisted identities) so they invent crisis and so they point to NORPs and scream "OMG, dat's discriminashun!" The whole discussion about two consenting adults is mindless seeing as how homosexuals, by definition, are mentally ill thus can't make a rational decision pertaining to anything revolving around their mental illness. Though, to be fair, it's a very mild form of deviation considering all the other crap out there. But you still wouldn't trust the judgement of a schizophrenic about things that revolve around their mental illness, even if its a "mild" form of schizophrenia.

All marriage should be unrecognised by the government.

• Autism Autism x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Why the fuck are you even here? you're also not a writer. Also I think that ED.SE and by extension, this forum, is pretty clear that we support Christ and Christ's law, which includes a firm disapproval of homosexuals, whom we view as sinners. I don't think we need to entertain any further discussion on this matter.

4. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    Greek nobility still wanted to pass down their lineage. They couldn't do that with the people they actually wanted to fuck. Hell, didn't the Japanese samurai go through a period where they were so flaming homo gay that they regarded women as mere reproductive tools, with no pleasurable qualities?

Marriage was meant to secure lineage. Sometime around the Enlightenment it started offering better legal protection to children and spouses. Today it is inessential for either.

Not all straight marriages have the intent of producing offspring.

The government is involved.

5. KimmoAlmPhoenix

KimmoAlmPhoenix
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

So unadopted kids can finally live in a home instead of an orphanage? We should allow gay couples to adopt large amounts of children out of orphanages for the homosexual agenda and to defeat the Religious Right at all costs.

6. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Dunno. I get paid for it. That seems to fulfill the requirements of being something, at least according to Marxist theory of identity.

Sooooooooo marriage is utilitarian y/n?

Fantastic. I suggest we don't stop there but also farm kids out to other politically organized groups of people with hormonal/psychological disorders (not genetic) who insist that they're capital N normal.

At any rate, I've seen a lot more instances of GLAAD and other groups telling adoption agencies whom they can facilitate adoptions for than the supposed opposite.

Also, I'm a right-wing nutjob, but I am in no way religious. I just don't think there are good or compelling secular arguments for gay marriage either.

7. Khanzer

Khanzer
    Expand Collapse
    EDF official mascot

Wizard
    So they can have gay divorce, but in a serious note I support that gay couple can adopt.

8. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    It certainly was. Whether it continues to be is open for discussion.

Gays want to get married.

9. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    There's no good reason not to have it.

If poofs want to bind their assets together, and have one lose half his stuff when they split; then who gives a shit.

The opposition to it comes from the Christfags based on antiquated religious grounds rather than from any logical standpoint.

If a poofter wants to get an official mother-in-law, when who gives a fuck?

Let them get married. Once the glow wears off, they'll realise they can't be the little whores that most of them are without incurring serious consequences.

10. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

If it's not a utilitarian concept anymore it's not worth having around and therefore still no gay marriage. If the utility of marriage, forming permanent unions that produce and raise biological offspring, is outdated, then I don't see the point in having it at all. Marriage is a joke to most of the Western world right now and somehow the gays still want in. It's quite stupid and a retarded gesture in general. Marriages never were about "love," so I don't see how a dipshitted determination to die on that hill somehow solidifies the idea that gay love is legitimate as hetero love. I can't for the life of me understand why the Gay rights movement doesn't just take the "rights" aspect and run.

Basically, marriage is two dumbasses at a time saying "I really like to fuck this person and or spend time with them and this will never change*"

*Actually not, divorces

Seems to me we could save a lot of money and wasted stupid shit by just eliminating the stupid concept altogether and replacing it with a court document saying people are humping until one of them gets sick of it and then that's the end.

I don't see how 8k years of recorded human history and developed marriage law are antiquated religious grounds. I think it's kind of silly that at least two responses have been "the only reason why not is because religious groups get butthurt" and not a one of the reasons I listed above happened to be religious.

If psychologists were doing their pseudo-scientific jobs, they would have a lot to say about the strong drive towards normalization that this sudden push for marriage represents. I'd chalk it up to the retarded ideas of the Disney generation and the hippie-raised flower-children before them who somehow managed to decide that love is this magical concept that lasts forever and is rooted in rainbows, butterflies, and happy puppy emotions rather than a simple exchange of goods and services that serve a function.

As for another provocative question, if we aren't canning the idea of marriage altogether, and it's not a utilitarian means of facilitating nuclear families, what about a sterile brother and sister who want to fuck with the approval of the public?

11. Whatever

Whatever
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Existing
    As others have pointed out, the "traditionalist" argument has gone down the toilet. The first main reason would be reproduction, and straight people do not have to say "Oh yeah we're totally going to spread the seed and all that shit." In addition, the court house doesn't give a shit if both straight parties being married are atheist.

Also try to get married with the assistance of a priest, but without actually getting a marriage license from the government. Then try to say that it's cool cause Jesus said so. See if the government gives a shit.

12. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    Regarding marriage and offspring, what if gays start figuring ways to make children without two genders (cloning/gene splicing), would that change the whole debate?

13. molb*

molb*
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Bulbous
    That would make a lot more sense. I'd prefer the gov't to roll back its involvement with straight couples to that of gays. My marital status should matter as much as the color of my car. Unfortunately, practical arguments are less politically expedient than passionate ones. And you can't expect an institution to just disappear once it's lost its utility:
    [​IMG]

14. Aroukar

Aroukar
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Professor emeritus
    The faggots and dykes have certainly grown bolder. These demands are an outrage. I remember a time when you couldn't find one of those bloody buggerers anywhere. The men married women, and the women said nothing. If they existed back then, they were myths believed to have been wiped out by the spread of Western civilization; ony uncivilized peoples practiced these foul acts. Oh, and if they did happen to find one, off to the nuthouse for rehabilitation.

15. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Various areas already have this (albeit with tacit approval of the public, rather than official approval):
    1) Tennessee & other parts south
    2) Tasmania
    3) @oddguy 's bedroom.

16. PerpetuallyAroused

PerpetuallyAroused
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Superhero Scientist
    Protip: If you want to try the philoso-troll line, try being a little more succinct, major tl;dr bro. We all agree gay marriage is bad. Anyone telling you otherwise here is just making fun of you. Anyone who is paying you to write is being robbed by you.

17. jack

jack
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

they're fags they are not smart enough to figure that out.they have to much semen in there brains from getting fucked in the ass.

18. Dr. Rice

Dr. Rice
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Small Business Wizard
    Home Page:
    The fags aren't going to get this treatment soon, the technology will sooner be available for lesbians. The real homosexual agenda is to steal our ladies with their lesbian ways.

19. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

They have the right to be just as miserable as straight people.
    I also support it because you don't see gay people having shotgun weddings due to little "accidents".
    They seem to actually give a shit about each other and that's something to be laughed at heartily admired.

20. Bass

Bass
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Better than you
    Just think of all the money the government would make from gay divorce fees....

21. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    I agree. They're unwanted and they're a burden on the government. If it turns out bad then bureaucrats can use it as an excuse to impose their will further upon society.

WTF are you talking about? Homosexuals, especially the males, change their "life partners" like they change clothes.

22. Slavoj Jizzek

Slavoj Jizzek
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

tl;dr? They were practically tweets compared to @Dr. Rice and @The Member Formerly Known As Baya Rae 4900

23. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
  24. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

Yes, because all stereotypes are absolute fact. :awesome:
    What do you care anyway? You are asexual due to being unwanted by both genders.

25. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    [​IMG]

You've obviously lived a very sheltered life.

26. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy

I know straight people that are way bigger whores than gay men.
    And they usually end up marrying one of the 3 baby daddies which fathered one of their 4 children.
    Gay people are more deserving simply because they aren't overpopulating the planet with unwanted waterheads.
    And bankrupting Medicaid for said bastards.

27. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    Maybe you could pass a name or 2 on to The Member Formerly Known As Baya.

If they're big enough whores, they might get a kick out of doing it with someone who looks like a thumb with eyes.

28. Helix

Helix
    Expand Collapse
    resident stoner

College, mang
    Home Page:
    I think that it's a bad idea. If we give in to the gays, polygamists will want equal rights, and then zoophiles, and then it'll just get fucking crazy. Before you know it, priests will be forced to sanction marriages between a man, a lamp stand, and a half eaten burrito, and the government will have to give tax cuts to some lunatic who fell in love with a stain on his wall.

29. Baya Rae 4900

Baya Rae 4900
    Expand Collapse
    Lawlman

Nazi Chocolate (25.8069)
    Home Page:
    And? Are you really this fucking retarded? Are you still in the fifth grade or something? FFS.

Yes, because people who make up less than a percent of any given population and won't pass on their birth defectives to the next generation will really change the birth rate.

Fuck, you're stupid.

30. Sugar Bombs

Sugar Bombs
    Expand Collapse
    Daddy