A possible solution?

Discussion in 'Encyclopedia Dramatica Collaboration' started by GSTalbert1, Apr 30, 2013.

1. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Part Time Substitute Teacher Full time Teal Deer
    [​IMG]

How about an AE downloadable browser that would essentially have the site and forum downloaded on your computer? With it you could moderate traffic allowing you to host your core user group - the die hard fans - without them eating up your bandwith.

I'll do this myself if I have to.

2. CrackRabbit

CrackRabbit
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

٫ٙ٫ٕ̙ٕ̘ٕ̘༵shill⌨ِّٕ̙̖ٕ̗̘̖̙ٖ͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛͛
    Explain further.

3. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

That's kinda what Tor does, as far as the bandwidth is concerned.

There's also this.

4. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

I'm not really sure what you're trying to solve.

5. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

Oh I know and I've already had that downloaded a while back, I believe you actually introduced it to me the first time. That's key to what I'm talking about, like the WOW client that has much of the game already downloaded. The browser would allow you to browse the site normally, with or without internet. The other thing would be to give design control over to AE allowing admins greater reach in dealing with issues, most of which would be from core users, by being able to custom design various aspects of the browsers.

I have to download it again, new comp.

possibly dependence, but I was really stoned when i was writing this.

6. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

Oh I see what you're getting at, being able to download the whole site in one shot.

It's really just a matter of taking the text archive and converting it to html, but then you have the problem with the images, backlinks/youtubes obviously won't work, etc. It sounds cool but it would be an awful lot of work, and also would easily weigh in at a few gigabytes.

7. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

A lot of work but it may be a fun project for me, I did just finish my first java class. Perhaps I should start with understanding this moonspeak:

8. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

When I say "awful lot of work" what I mean is that no one man could ever possibly do it without some type of automation. Also you have to consider, how many people are going to actually download a browser of that size. Where would you even serve it? Pirate Bay? I mean the text archives alone are 200mb, when you throw all the images in the mix the shit has to be at least 10gb. I hate to be a negative nancy, but I just don't think it's feasible.

9. GSTalbert1

GSTalbert1
    Expand Collapse
    Girlvinyl

If it was easy, someone would have already done it. I'm smart, I don't consider myself stupid, but there is literally no comparison between the magnitude of what I can do and think what people are capable of. If I have a thought, I'm certain there is a 99.9(put a "-" on that last 9)% chance someone else has had it or something close to it and a 100% when I'm a noob. I'm also certain there's a way to pull anything off.

You're not, you're merely listing the core realities that a person trying to work this out will have to face regardless.

[​IMG]

10. uberfukken

uberfukken
    Expand Collapse
    Rainmaker

All the power to you if you think you can pull it off. E would be the person to get in touch with about it.