★★★Official Thread of Outside the Basement ★★★

Discussion in 'Image Dump' started by Solution, Mar 23, 2012.

A very friendly community
  1. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse
    Sexually Delinquent, Permanently Sleepless

minty's bff4lyfe
    Someday I hope to see things like this:
    Mount saint Michel, France

[​IMG]
    The painted desert, AZ
    [​IMG]
    The Orkney islands, Scotland
    [​IMG]

2. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_Valley
    You'll have better luck in Utah if you want to see that. Monument Valley.
    This is painted desert AZ
    DSC06978.JPG DSC06949.JPG DSC06975.JPG DSC06976.JPG DSC07023.JPG DSC07029.JPG DSC07032.JPG

The Grand Canyon.
    DSC06827.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 1
    • List
  3. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

But you knew that

• List
  4. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

DSC07109.JPG DSC07106.JPG

• Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 1
    • Trigger Warning Trigger Warning x 1
    • List
  5. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    No I didn't informative ty.

That's very nice looking n very open.
    Where's that?

6. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Haven't been there yet. How was it?

7. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    and now, Im going to expose you all to highland culture.

It involves booze, and very hairy very very very big men, in kilts (DON'T CALL THEM SKIRTS DAMMIT) and very pale ppl and food mostly of the fried carbohydrate variety (tho there is haggis but i missed that competition) and music and very very very big men in kilts throwing things in the sun at each other.

Surely, it is a wonderful thing.

we start with the premise: a festival of ppl rp'ing braveheart but also there having a good time with family and friends. There's alot of men using the event as a chance to forgo pants and run about with their jewels in the breeze. I have been informed ( I used to do highland dancing as a kid) that to be proper regimental form, u must have nothing under the kilt.
    [​IMG]
    many of the kilts are dyi jams made of denim with pockets now (lol ulti-kilt) or like the older druid man off to the right there, leather. He also has leather boots that go up to his knees, with bone buttons up the back.
    [​IMG]
    u dont need to have style, just the urge to feel the air and let the world see ur very pale ankles
    [​IMG]
    although to capture true highland spirit u should have boots or at the least very high socks.
    [​IMG]
    although to truly channel ur inner Clan MacDonald, u really should show off ur giant burly shins. Accenting them with a stylish pair of wool socks with ribbons will do it. (Plus where this orginates from its usually damp and cool af, so it'll keep ur ankles from getting chilled).

[​IMG]
    we can even dress up your dog.
    [​IMG]
    or your horse, of course we'd need to know their clan to identify the proper coloring of the tartan (the plaid).
    Its specific to the region and clan u descended from. If you don't know that or aren't from the british isles, that's ok, we still love ya and will adopt u in! Here, have some whiskey!!!
    (srsly there was alot of booze).
    [​IMG]
    i opted for the cider. Then the whiskey and scotch.
    not pictured: me trying to hug a piper after my 3rd round. I thought he was the guy my family hires for all our major events. I think I was wrong.

There was food, and if you like carbs, fried fixins, or gravy, well, you are in the right place!
    [​IMG]
    shepherd's pie
    [​IMG]
    some kinda boiled meat and taters and cabbage n bread
    [​IMG]
    MEAT PIES (AKA PASTIE)
    [​IMG]
    This is "Irish nachos," im not certain if its part of celtic culture or just an example of Americans bastardizing everything and frying it up with cheese and joy. But it was really, really good. Fried chip style potatos, cheese, cottage cheese, ground lamb, and chives.
    [​IMG]
    a bag piper (one of many).
    [​IMG]
    and a guy playing the uillean pipes (excuse shit quality), which is an irish version of the pipes, but instead of blowing into them you inflate the bag similar to almost like an accordian. The player can often sing while playing them, or use a small tin penny whistle. The sound less like a dying cat (typical bagpipe sound) and more ethereal, like a ghostly dying cat.
    Still neat.

The man next to him is playing the fiddle, and the traditional version of the fiddle (a mutation of the violin) came about as a result of the British occupation of the Scots and Ireland. They outlawed the pipes and the traditional music therein.
    The occupied ppl responded by learning to play the violin, changing the bridge and the tuning of the instrument so it sounded similar to the pipes, and playing their drunken reels on that.

Then we have what I went to really see, the highland games. Its track n field, BUT WITH KILTS! Traditionally, its only done by the dudes (big manly men) while the ladies clapped and held their beers. However, they have introduced a ladies event. These ladies look like they could benchpress a prius filled with sumo wrestlers.
    [​IMG]
    The one girl actually is a powerlifter whose max deadlift is currently I believe 500 lbs. Here she is, throwing the "light" hammer.
    and another (who I think is actually Russian) doing the heavier hammer throw:
    [​IMG]
    yeah yeah, very nice ladies, breaking gender barriers etc (actually it was cool and I would've preferred that to dancing as a kid, even though I danced over swords), but now, the main even, MEN THROWING THINGS!!!
    [​IMG]
    Mr Ballcap there is 6'6". They threw alot of things. Heavy things.
    such as Hammers:
    [​IMG]
    Kegs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the caber:
    [​IMG]
    The caber is a large log (usually about 16-20 feet long and weighing up to 200 lbs) that u pick up at the end, run with and toss. The purpose is to throw it up the in the air, get it to spin end over end, and land directly in front of you, ideally not killing you or any spectators (they did at one point throw the keg so hard it flew into the crowd). The challenge is that the caber is very long and unwieldy and that u may drop it on your foot, especially if you have had more than 7 beers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so pale. so very, very pale.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the winner gets to be baptized in the finest cheap booze u have left in ur can:
    [​IMG]

ty and have a beautiful day. And go outside ffs. Somewhere, there's hairy giant men taking off their shirts and throwing things, go be part of that!
    edit goddmanit
    fuck u xenofor fine direct links

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

PA is looking good.

• lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  9. Groyper Supreme

Groyper Supreme
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

It's a tourist trap which sells petrified wood. It's run by an old black woman who smelled like she didn't shower in a week, and was wearing the same slippers since the Carter administration.
    She has HUGE chunks of it for sale, 2ft, 3ft diameter pieces and tinier pieces, she's really over priced. 2K+ for bookends. (at the souvenir shop at the park, similar bookends were selling for about $200 max) I'm guessing her family bought the land before it became a national park, or she's a redbone and she has all sorts of super-privileges.
    There are shops like this all over the town next to the park, so it doesn't make much sense to steal from the park. Plus, they are polished to a high gloss finish to really bring out the minerals.
    I'm guessing this business was started well before the interstate, and they had to do all kinds of stuff to get you to pull over.
    DSC07101.JPG DSC07102.JPG DSC07099.JPG

People steal petrified wood from the national park all the time. Which is fucked up. I'm guessing most of it ends up in the garbage or tossed out into the yard within a month.

This is the more spectacular DSC07082.JPG DSC07053.JPG
    This chunk of petrified wood was almost 3 feet in diameter and was up on a pedestal of limestone/mud about 2ft up. It was about 5-6 feet long and I'm guessing weighed about 2 tones. DSC07026.JPG
    DSC06979.JPG
    But after looking at the same type of stuff for three hours it gets trying. I wanted to spend the full day there but only made it until about 1400.
    But will be going back to camp. There's stuff that just isn't accessible by car. And I need to get a better camera.
    DSC06952.JPG

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  10. Lovecraft

Lovecraft
    Expand Collapse
    Endsenten's alter-ego

Walking talking meat.
    [​IMG]
    Nice profile picture of @Groyper Supreme having an enlightened debate with a democrat.
    Add it to the yearbook.

• Like Like x 1
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • List
  11. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    [​IMG]
    This is off the coast of Iceland. I don't wanna go there cuz it's prolly cold, but it does look beautiful.

12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft
    Expand Collapse
    Endsenten's alter-ego

Walking talking meat.
    Just dress for the climate.
    Not hard, my people have been doing it since the ice sheets retreated.

• List
  13. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    Meh u n the rest of the hairy nords can keep it, I hate the cold.

Dressing for the cold for me involves about 5 layers. I feel like the weird little brother from 'The Christmas story.'

14. Lovecraft

Lovecraft
    Expand Collapse
    Endsenten's alter-ego

Walking talking meat.
    Two layers for the lower body usually does it (three if you count your underpants/panties) and three for the upper body.
    Wool, wool and something breathable and mostly wind proof, and you're golden.

• I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    Yeah I usually do under armor base layer, then some sort of wool or flannel then jeans then heavy water/windproof outer layer.
    The real issue is my digits, fingers n toes go numb n purple, makes hunting a bitch in the cold. I got special gloves but it's a a bitch trying to draw my bow with them.

16. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    So. Went outside. Since its October n a lil creepy out decided 'Hey lets go look at some of the old abandoned houses in my area.'
    First one that springs to mind was an old ramshackle shithole down by the river.
    20 years ago the person who lived in it was a crazy old man who would refuse to take his psyche meds and throw rocks at cars/shoot at them (if the person who held his guns let him have them back). He got put away or died or something, and all that's left is the house.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front wall has a chalkboard and dry erase board. Dunno why? On it...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I had a pic with the whole boards saved, including part of the writing that said "WE VISITED NANA'S HOUSE SUMMER OF 2017" but it, and alot of other pictures, including some from inside didn't save. Idk why because that's never happened b4.
    I managed to hang in thru this open window to get pics of the interior but like i said, didn't save
    [​IMG]

Also over the front porch was this lil darling...
    [​IMG]
    that, combined with the general vibe of the area kinda made me book it outta there.

On the path near the house was this:
    [​IMG]
    I hope Hannah isn't in pieces in the basement.... I hope she wasn't wearing that tag on a middriff top :( they're like bullseyes for slashers.

The area this is in sees alot of pretty intense flooding, the worst was hurricane Floyd that I can remember but in the 1950s there were some terrible ones too. One of those floods took a car from the road and dragged it away down and flipped it ovr on its side. Its been there ever since:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any car nerds that can ID the make and model can have all my internets. Its a rear engine deal looks like a station wagon, pre-1960.

Near Nana's house was an abandoned barn where kids go to drink and do drugs and set things on fire.
    There isn't much else to do around here.
    [​IMG]
    They obviously have very discerning tastes:
    [​IMG]
    And enjoy rafting and leaving the box to their inflatable adventurewagon in the barn:
    [​IMG]
    and are not ashamed of their bodily functions or sharing them with nature:
    [​IMG]
    I hiked back as this weird sorta murky mist shit started to roll in off the river:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also. There was a dead fish that I didn't realize was there until i nearly stepped in it:
    [​IMG]

It was a fun afternoon.

17. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Which part of the state did you say you live in?

18. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    eastern

19. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Which town

20. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    one of the ones in the East.
    No town actually Im in the back forty.
    Northwest of Philly.

21. Lazarus+

Lazarus+
    Expand Collapse
    Verbal Laudanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6_H-PSml0
    Home Page:
    WestLinn_01-2000.

i walk across this bridge all the time

beautiful day today

22. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

You dont have a name for it?

23. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

where is that

24. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    thats really nice actually.
    depending on my mood its "Nowhere," "Ah shit its snowing/raining/sleeting again," and "HOLY SHIT I HOPE EVERYONE HERE DIES IN A COMET BLAST INCLUDING ME WHY ARE U FUCKS DOING 5MPH ON MY BACK ROADS AND WHY ARE THERE 30 OF U?!"

25. Lazarus+

Lazarus+
    Expand Collapse
    Verbal Laudanum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j6_H-PSml0
    Home Page:
    multnomah-falls-oregon-hiking-trail-5-1080x675.

i've hiked here a few times

the pacific northwest is ludicrously lush

26. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    That. Is. Amazing.
    Its too rainy up there for me but that place looks neat as hell.

27. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

Are you in the city limits?

28. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    no

29. Illuminati

Illuminati
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Hero

How is it there, do you have an old house or a modern one

30. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    grew up in a cape cod my dad built until we moved counties. Then lived in a really really old Colonial (from 1700s) that my family owned, creepy af. Parents built another home, rancher. Its ait.

How about u