Science has gone full retard.

Discussion in 'News' started by Call me Tim, Feb 16, 2017.

Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums
Encyclopedia Dramatica Forums

Encyclopedia Dramatica is being sued by a very wealthy serial litigator. This is not just another "gimme shekels for server" - the future of ED is at stake. We are asking for donations to fund our legal battle, all money raised goes entirely towards attorney fees. Please help with whatever you can, every donation is deeply appreciated.

Donate to the Encyclopedia Dramatica Legal FundJoin the Discussion Thread

1. Call me Tim

Call me Tim
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Bullshit Artist.
    [​IMG]
    Don't read if you do not want to know the true reason for the ice melting.
    Ice in Greenland is melting partly because of heat from the Earth's mantle, according to a team of international researchers.

The group claims that they are the first to find a connection between melting of the Greenland ice sheet and the high heat flow from the Earth’s mantle.

The findings, they suggest, could have implications for future predictions on climate change and the reasons behind ice melt in the region.
    The Greenland ice sheet is often considered an important contributor to future global sea-level rise over the next century or longer.

In total, it contains an amount of ice that would lead to a rise of global sea level by more than seven metres, if completely melted.

The ice loss from the ice sheet has been increasing over the last decade, with half of it attributed to changes in surface conditions with the remainder due to increased iceberg calving - the process by which ice detaches from the glacier to become an iceberg.

The international research initiative IceGeoHeat, led by the GFZ German Research Centre for Geosciences, said that the effect of the Earth's crust and upper mantle in current climate modelling are too simplistic.

They modelled the Earth’s mantle against the ice sheet and found that melting occurs in a given area due to the composition of the mantle underneath it.

Writing in the current online issue of Nature Geoscience, the group argues that this effect cannot be neglected when putting together data on climate change.

The Greenland ice sheet loses about 227 gigatonnes of ice per year and contributes about 0.7 millimeters to the currently observed mean sea level change of about 3 mm per year.

The team point out, however, that existing model calculations were based on a consideration of the ice cap.

GFZ scientists Alexey Petrunin and Irina Rogozhina have now combined earlier ice and climate models with their new thermo-mechanical model for the Greenland lithosphere.

‘We have run the model over a simulated period of three million years, and taken into account measurements from ice cores and independent magnetic and seismic data’, said Petrunin.

‘The temperature at the base of the ice, and therefore the current dynamics of the Greenland ice sheet is the result of the interaction between the heat flow from the earth's interior and the temperature changes associated with glacial cycles,’ said Irina Rogozhina who initiated IceGeoHeat.

‘We found areas where the ice melts at the base next to other areas where the base is extremely cold.’

The current climate is influenced by processes that go far back into the history of Earth: the Greenland lithosphere is 2.8 to 1.7 billion years old and is only about 70 to 80 km thick under Central Greenland.

The researchers believe that the coupling of models of ice dynamics with thermo-mechanical models of the solid earth allows a more accurate view of the processes that are melting the Greenland ice.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...at-INSIDE-Earth-melting-areas-Arctic-ice.html

Iceland is Growing - 40 cm Wider in Two Weeks
    Iceland is located where two tectonic plates meet, the North-American plate and the Eurasian plate. Those two plates are drifting a part, meaning that Iceland becomes on average 2 cm wider every year.

Since the seismic activity started in Bárðarbunga, Iceland's largest volcanic system, Iceland has become over 40 cm wider! Yes, in just a few days the country has grown almost half a meter.

As the plates drift a part the land inbetween sinks, which is very visible at Thingvellir National Park (to the right of Reykjavik ont he map above) and signs like that are seen both in the glacier (which might also be caused by subglacial volcanic activity) and in the sands and lava fields north of the glacier, where the current eruption is.

And Earth was created
    In the map at the top, which was published by the BBC during the Eyjafjallajökull eruption, you can see where the "line of fire" goes through Iceland. Bárðarbunga volcano is just north of where Grimsvotn/Laki is located on the map, and the current eruption in Holuhraun is located north of glacier and south of Askja volcano. What we are seeing is the rebirth of Earth, how the fresh, melted lava from deep inside the Earth is making its way to the surface. The creation of new land. It is a magnificent thing and whereever you look in Iceland you can see how the forces of nature have formed and shaped this country - and still are.

The location of earthquakes. The bundle of green stars is in the Bárðarbunga caldera. The magma dike has moved NE and N from there, moving closer to Askja (the light blue lake north of the glacier with a yellow spot in it). We can even see the earthquakes north of Askja following the line of fire further north. Those have been insignificant in size though.

The magnitude of what is happening is difficult to grasp. The number of earthquakes is in tens of thousands, with 9 earthquakes at this moment larger than 5, the biggest measuring 5.7. That is very, very big. The big 2014 earthquake in Napa valley in Northern California was 6.0. The movement of magma underground is gigantic, but events like that can take place without any eruption on the surface.

At this point, we've probably had 4 eruptions. Two of them subglacial not melting through the glacier with the meltwater still being trapped somewhere under the ice, and two in Holuhraun. First a small one last Friday which died out in only 4 hours, and now a much bigger one which we do not know how long will last.

Putting things into context
    If we put the current eruption in Holuhraun in context, it is believed to be about 50 times bigger than the one on Friday. The flow of magma is estimated 1.000 m3/sec which is 5 times the flow of Dettifoss, Europe's most powerful waterfall. In just a few hours the lava had covered 3 square kilometers. The fire is reaching as high as 70 meters above the ground, which is the hight of Iceland's tallest church tower Hallgrimskirkja, and not far from the height of Big Ben (96 meters).

The best part is that there is no ashcloud. None, what so ever. So we are seeing a powerful lava eruption with no ash and no impact on flights. At the moment, there isn't even a red alert issued meaning that you can safely fly directly above the eruption.
    http://www.ravingravens.com/blog/2014/08/iceland-is-growing-40-cm-wider-in-two-weeks.html

Full retard

#1 Call me Tim, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2017
    • Tl;dr x 4
    • Autism x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Good Question x 1
    • OP is a Faggot x 1
    • List
  2. Tyrantrum

Tyrantrum
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

KYM rapefugee
    Let me get this straight:

They're going to waste $500 Billion on 10 Million wind-powered pumps that would require costly maintenance every now and then as opposed to spending that kind of money on multiple conservation and humanitarian projects that would be more effective and require less maintenance?

They're just trying to delay the inevitable with this and once the inevitable happens all that money will be wasted.

• Fuck off retard x 3
    • I Agree x 1
    • Shots Fired x 1
    • Autism x 1
    • lol fgt u suk bals ololoololollololoolollollol x 1
    • List
  3. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    This is the problem with fuckwit scientists having a vested interest in pushing their agenda. Give them a title of "Climate Change Scientists" and see how unbiased they are. Fucking cunts.

I'm going to turn on some lights in empty rooms, and microwave a bowl of water and then throw it out. Fuck the green cunts, fuck the arctic and the faggot penguins, fuck future generations.

• I Agree I Agree x 5
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 2
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • List
  4. Guac_Emperor

Guac_Emperor
    Expand Collapse
    Ediot

Being weird on IRC
    Home Page:

how do they think this "ice-freezing machine" is gonna be powered by, their farts?

• Good Question Good Question x 6
    • List
  5. Nein

Nein
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Same logic fail as the faggots who turn off all the lights in a city to save the Earth and let niggers pillage freely. The power plant is burning the coal or NG to generate the power whether your lights are on or not.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. scumhook

scumhook
    Expand Collapse
    Managing account details

Fellator of the homeless
    Home Page:
    South Australia, the state where faggots congregate, has gone over to wind power as their primary source of electrickery. The entire state has been blacked out about 3 times this year. Fucking stupid cunts.

@Likeicare now that Hazelwood's shut, you're fucked so buy a generator and stock up on diesel.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  7. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    diesel? pffft im going to fuel it out of bodies i fish up out of the Yarra

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  8. Nein

Nein
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Wind is fine is a supplementary power source. Too unreliable as a primary.

plus the turbines are fucking epic when they catch fire or explode.

• Like Like x 5
    • I Fapped I Fapped x 3
    • List
  9. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse
    Sexually Delinquent, Permanently Sleepless

minty's bff4lyfe
    some buses run on methane now......

Fart power, the stinkiest of clean energy..

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  10. Nein

Nein
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

methane is odorless. thats why it was so dangerous to miners.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    So pretty much it wasn't the usage of electricity that's the cause of this gay global warming hysteria, but just the mantle?

Welp, time to make a machine that's powered by my gas anyways.

12. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    I just wanted to make a fart joke.

• Feels Feels x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Likeicare

Likeicare
    Expand Collapse
    EDF is my hugbox

Home Page:
    NO RADHA IT IS NOT SCIENTIFICALLY ACCURATE. THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE

• Like Like x 3
    • Shots Fired Shots Fired x 1
    • oy vey oy vey x 1
    • Autism Autism x 1
    • List
  14. Radha the Buttwhisperer

Radha the Buttwhisperer
    Expand Collapse

minty's bff4lyfe
    I must now go slice my belly open with a copy of the AACCN journal molded into a blade to regain my family's honor.

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • I Fapped I Fapped x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 2
    • Tinfoil Tinfoil x 1
    • List
  15. corpsefriedchicken

corpsefriedchicken
    Expand Collapse
    Reactionary cunt

Phone Sex Operator
    That is perfectly good wall money they are wasting

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Quality Shoop Quality Shoop x 1
    • List
  16. Mikemikev

Mikemikev
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

Climate change isn't real but I wish it was so all of the wog countries got destroyed. I'd probably go live in Siberia.

• Like Like x 1
    • I Agree I Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Call me Tim

Call me Tim
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Bullshit Artist.
    LOL. This fag.

18. Chrono

Chrono
    Expand Collapse
    Dragon

Attention Whore
    Don't hurt his fees fees by using the F word, that's very rude!!

JK, he's just a faggot, so carry on!

• I Agree I Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Nobody Cares Nobody Cares x 1
    • List
  19. Nein

Nein
    Expand Collapse
    Dramacrat

[​IMG]

• Feels Feels x 2
    • Fuck off retard Fuck off retard x 1
    • List
  20. Call me Tim

Call me Tim
    Expand Collapse
    EDF Elite

Bullshit Artist.
    From what I gather they are going to pump seawater over the ice sheet and let the air and the already frozen ice do the rest.